Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical advice on protein intake please page

Paneristi is offline Member

Technical advice on protein intake please

Shop Now
    Male 54
    Height 5'11
    Exercise 5 days per week rigorous 30 mins alternate sprint jog 15min+ 15 mins followed by 3o mins heavy lifting

Currect weight 82 kgs - 180 lbs lean body mass 160 lbs Body Fat % roughly 24%

Goal weight 75 kgs - 165 lbs goal Body Fat % goal 12%

Can someone please help me prepare a daily menu (dont mind the boredom factor of eating the same thing)

I believe I might be eating too much protein ?

Im just not losing any fat over the past 90 days 0r 3 months

Feel lethargic and weak after workouts

Current meal plan virtually the same every day

Bfst coffee and fresh cream eggs twice a week a veggie omelette

Lunch 4 boiled eggs + 4 sardines + a bown of mixed berries, one banana

Dinner 10 oz sirloin or rib eye steak and 6 asparagus spears, cherry tomat0es about 8

Twice a week over the total of 7 days roughly 40 nuts and 9-12 oz cheese

I was very lean for about 6 years on this PB regimen but recently over the past 9 mths have added 15 lbs and 12 % body fat.

Getting very frustrated and maybe Im eating too much protein(total calories) ??

Many thanks and ask if you need more info

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'm male, 53, 5'11" so very similar.

I walk 6km per day, 5 days a week and paddle about 10km most weekends. No other working out. I eat a shed load more than that. My weight is steady at 73 kg

Suggest you look at the following:

* getting enough sleep
    * reducing stress - this may include reducing your workouts. Replace them with play or something more meditative
    * eating more - if you're starving yourself and very active your body will go into starvation mode. Particularly if you're not getting enough protein. You should be getting around 150g a day. Are you? Not by the sound of that menu
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thank YOU for your reply.
    According to what Ive read here In order to lose one pound, you must be in a deficit of 3,500 calories per week, or 500 calories per day (3,500 calories divided by 7 days). This is where the topic of "starvation mode" comes into play. If you have a lot of weight to lose, you are safe with a deficit of 1000 calories per day, or a 2 pound loss per week. If you are on your last 10 pounds or less, you will want to stick closer to the 1 pound per week range, or a deficit of 500 calories per day, so as not to go too low with your daily calories. So hense the lower calories.

Egg, whole, boiled calories 232g fat 15.9g carbs 1.7g protein 18.8g
    Sardines, canned in oil 100 5.5 0.0 11.8
    Apple, raw cupcup, quarte 72 0.2 19.1 0.4
    Almonds cupoz (22 whole kernels) 164 14.4 5.6 6.0
    Beef, loin, bottom sirloin 567 29.8 0.0 69.5
    Spinach, raw cup bunch leaf baby 14 0 .2 2.2 1.7
    Raspberries, raw cup 64 0.8 14.7 1.5
    Coffee fl ozcoffee cup (6 fl oz) 0 0.0 0.0 0.0
    Cream 37 3.3 1.2 0.8

Total Calories 1,249 Fat 70.1 carbs 44.4 Protein 110.6

Fat (50%) Carbs (13%)
    Protein (37%) Alcohol (0%)

Your thoughts please........

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried more carbs?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Low calorie diets are detrimental to BMR in the long-term, and it sounds like your BMR is depressed enough already.

Your sources of protein are good, but I think you need to eat a bit more, along with more carbs, e.g. starchy tubers. Also, you need to eat more plants as Mark recommends in the PB, at least 2-3 times more plants than you're currently eating, in order to avoid vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

billp is offline Senior Member
    I think you are over-focusing on numbers. The nutritional usefulness of food cannot be so easily measured. Eat until you are satisfied, and eat what satisfies you. The great contributions of the traditional diet is that by replacing sugar with animal fats and extra meat and veg, and cutting out unnatural seed oils and genetically engineered wheat (not that I have anything against GE, but still..) then your body can naturally guide itself.

They aren't accurate, you know, those numbers. Nutrition is one of your less advanced sciences.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Holy crap that is low calories for a big strong man doing such hard workouts. Eat, boy, eat! How can you expect to lean out if you don't eat? Add another steak to your breakfast or something and throw in some sweet potatoes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I don't think it's too much protein. Given the amount that you're running and lifting I'd say add quite a bit more primal carbs and cut back on the fats a little.

andyonprimal is offline Junior Member
    bro! you haven't lost any weight and feel like garbage because you are starving yourself and your body is trying to preserve everything it can.

1,250 cals/day working out 5 days a week is downright unhealthy.

first, you need to understand you can reach a 3,500 calorie reduction through diet AND exercise...not just diet alone
    so say you burn 300 calories during each of your 5 workouts for 1500calores per week, which leaves 2000cals to come from your diet.

now lets say at 160lbs of lean body mass, your maintenece calorie intake (amount of cals to maintain your weight) is 2500 calories.......

so...
    maintenance calories: 2500/day
    3500 calorire/week deficit: 500cals/day
    1500 calaories burned from workout: 300x5 workouts
    leaves us with 2000calories/week to come from the diet: about 285cals/day

so...a daily calorie reduction of 285, which will drop us from a maintenance of 2500 to 2215
    simple math to prove it....assuming your maintenance is 2500 cals
    285reduction*7days=1995cals cut/week (from diet)
    300reduction*5days=1500cals burned/week (from exercise)
    1995+1500=3495cals/week

my advice...at 160lbs of lean body weight:
    up your calories considerably...start at 2200 cals and see how it goes for a week or two
    160g protein - 640 cals
    50-100g carbs - 320 cals (320 is based on 80g...adjust up or down depending on if you are working out or not)
    137g fat - 1,233 cals

eat a simple carb immediately after you workout (banana) and a more complex carb within the next hour (quinoa, sweet potato)...these could be higher carb/calorie days....drop both on your off days...

Quote Originally Posted by andyonprimal View Post
    bro! you haven't lost any weight and feel like garbage because you are starving yourself and your body is trying to preserve everything it can.

1,250 cals/day working out 5 days a week is downright unhealthy.

first, you need to understand you can reach a 3,500 calorie reduction through diet AND exercise...not just diet alone
    so say you burn 300 calories during each of your 5 workouts for 1500calores per week, which leaves 2000cals to come from your diet.

now lets say at 160lbs of lean body mass, your maintenece calorie intake (amount of cals to maintain your weight) is 2500 calories.......

so...
    maintenance calories: 2500/day
    3500 calorire/week deficit: 500cals/day
    1500 calaories burned from workout: 300x5 workouts
    leaves us with 2000calories/week to come from the diet: about 285cals/day

so...a daily calorie reduction of 285, which will drop us from a maintenance of 2500 to 2215
    simple math to prove it....assuming your maintenance is 2500 cals
    285reduction*7days=1995cals cut/week (from diet)
    300reduction*5days=1500cals burned/week (from exercise)
    1995+1500=3495cals/week

my advice...at 160lbs of lean body weight:
    up your calories considerably...start at 2200 cals and see how it goes for a week or two
    160g protein - 640 cals
    50-100g carbs - 320 cals (320 is based on 80g...adjust up or down depending on if you are working out or not)
    137g fat - 1,233 cals

eat a simple carb immediately after you workout (banana) and a more complex carb within the next hour (quinoa, sweet potato)...these could be higher carb/calorie days....drop both on your off days...

Wow thanks mate you are terrific much appreciated ....So, what did I change?

1) I did not exercise on Thursday, Friday - Sat and Sunday ** Took 4 days off as recommended here by you guys. I played with my kids trampolining and took the dog on the beach all day =)
    2) I added pork chops with fat on them, and had about 3 of them this week
    3) I added mozzarella cheese
    4) I added 3 whole eggs to my week
    5) Ate 5 BIG salads over the past 4 days + nuts, olive oil + basalmic

I went from 82 to 79 kgs in a matter of days!

OK, I am really, really confused !! What exactly did I do right? That is exactly the kind of weight/fat-loss I was hoping for to begin with when combining high-protein and Intense interval training.

My Ketostik measure me today at NO KETOSIS which is weird. How long should I expect my body to move into "warp-speed"? I'm so excited to get into KETOSIS, any jump start tips ?
    Thanks Richard in Hong Kong
    PS. YOU GUYS F-IN RULE!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to get some fantastic feedback from you guys, and glad I asked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast