Thread: Primal Passover? page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Primal Passover?

Shop Now
    I host Passover every year for friends and family.....I have to admit....gonna have to make matzoh ball soup.

Any crazy ideas?

billp is offline Senior Member
    Emmer flour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmer

Seems to be what they grew at the time of the Exodus. Still found growing wild in Egypt and Israel today. So long as you use a real animal fat (I believe chicken fat was traditional) I can't see how you can go wrong. No one said you have to eat them every day, assuming you want to avoid all wheat.

JStrick is offline Senior Member
    My girlfriend is jewish and primal and makes a pure primal Passover meal. I remember us having liver pate and roast lamb. We had like 5 other dishes but I cannot remember what they were. Probably had Devilled eggs too.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Check out this post at Elena's pantry! Healthy Paleo Passover Recipes | Elana's Pantry

chiromom is offline Member
    Wow. Excited to try the paleo matzah ball soup. Thanks for this resource.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Emmer flour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmer

Seems to be what they grew at the time of the Exodus. Still found growing wild in Egypt and Israel today. So long as you use a real animal fat (I believe chicken fat was traditional) I can't see how you can go wrong. No one said you have to eat them every day, assuming you want to avoid all wheat.
    Won't work. Can't use wheat products for passover, have to use matzah meal.

i'd just make the matzah balls and eat the broth and chicken. That's what I do. I find Passover very easy to do, just avoid the matzah (other than that required for ritual purposes, that is.)

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, +1.

I make a brisket tzimmes with grassfed beef brisket, prunes, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic, a little chicken broth. I put matzoh balls in the pan with the meat and veggies. I serve it with applesauce.

I only eat gluten free (oat) matzoh for the ritual and then just do without.

Pea

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    Won't work. Can't use wheat products for passover, have to use matzah meal.

i'd just make the matzah balls and eat the broth and chicken. That's what I do. I find Passover very easy to do, just avoid the matzah (other than that required for ritual purposes, that is.)
    Now I am completely confused. That just shows the risks of careless glance at Wikipedia. I always thought it was a question of yeast, but from reading the Wikipedia article it looks like hametz is the state of being wetted for over 18 minutes.

As I understand it, matzah meal is crumbled up matzot. Am i right in thinking that it is the preparation technique, the cooking very quickly without yeast is what makes something floor based into matzot, and subsequently it can be cooked into anything in water for longer periods? Wikipedia is a bit vague. Are flours other than the five flours permissable?

I wouldn't worry about a but of wheat on special occasions, anyway. It's perfectly ok so long as one doesn't eat the stuff all the time and you aren't allergic to it.