Thread: Primal Doctors in NYC page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Guys I need to recommend a doctor (more precisely a gastroenterologist) for a ovo-lacteo-vegetarian friend who has had digestive issues for many years. She is an emotional vegetarian, so intellectual work-around possible there.

My fear is that a typical gastroenterologist could encourage her into stay in the SAD as a way to fix her ailments, hence making everything worst.

It would be ideal if she could see a doctor who is more literate about the flaws of conventional wisdom so she can get back on track, at least on a healthier version of vegetarianism (if that's even possible).

Any suggestion would be very appreciated.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Timothy is offline Senior Member

SS, I also suffered very bad digestive issues for several years, and I saw multiple gastroenterologists. They were quick with the prescription pad and the expensive diagnostics, but none of them ever made any suggestions about diet. The doctors themselves were overweight and unhealthy. The only advice I ever got from them that had any effect was to take metamucil. Thank goodness I avoided taking their dodgy pharmaceuticals and discovered the PB instead. Changing my diet cured everything. If I had just drugged away the symptoms, as they told me to, I would be much worse off today. My own grandmother, who had the same symptoms as me, died from necrotic bowel after being treated by these geniuses.

If you can find a primal gastroenterologist, I will be amazed. What kind of modern doctor tells you "oh you don't need all these prescriptions and colonoscopies, just try cutting sugar and grains for a week and see how you feel." I have a feeling such a doctor's business would be at risk, if not his license. But who knows; maybe there are some sane voices in the NYC wilderness.

I would hate for your friend to get stuck in the same Big Pharma dead-end as me. I wandered in that desert for seven years. Fortunately, as a lacto-ovo-vegetarian, she does have options. You could do a lot worse than fried eggs and kefir. Perhaps you could convince her to try excluding certain foods before she makes herself a ward of the medical-industrial complex?

maba is offline Senior Member

SS, here's a list of low-carb doctors. I hope you can find someone in NYC who'd help your friend w/ her digestive issues. Good luck!

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

ETA: Or she can visit a reputable naturopath.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Thanks a lot Maba. And Tomothy, you just described *exactly* what I want to prevent. Thanks for sharing your experience. She is cutting certain foods until she finds out what's behind this. She does have more options than a vegan, so she might be able to pull-off a vegetarian primal diet with eggs and butter, for example.

The above being said, I am gravitating towards accepting that the PB is, simply put, not for everyone. It is so extremely frustrating to see people who are having health issues further ruin their health due to being completely oblivious to the simple rationale behind the PB.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull