Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of fat page

Source of fat

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Since going Primal I've been eating a lot of coconuts as a good source of portable fat (non-liquid). I'm kind of getting burned out on all the coconut, and I've had too many cases where I've cracked open the nut and the meat was bad. I'm looking for an alternate source of fat just to diversify things a bit. I was thinking avocados, but noticed on Paleo Track that the Omega-6 level is pretty high, although it's full of mono-unsaturated fat. Any thoughts? Am I better off sticking with coconuts over avocados, or is there another good source?

Thanks!

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Butter (or ghee), eggs, meat...what else are you eating? There are plenty of good fatty foods out there

I eat butter on my vegetables, eggs every night, salmon, sardines, etc. But I like that solid source of "snack" fat that doesn't require any cooking. I don't like to refer to my coconut consumption as snacking because I only eat them with my main meals. But that's why I thought of avocados - they're fattening and don't require cooking. Is there a difference between Omega-6 high foods that are primarily mono vs poly?

Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Avocados are great! I eat 2-4 of em a week. I'm not super fearful of their O6 content like some.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Yeah they don't scare me, I eat at least one a day lol

billp is offline Senior Member
    Lard and tallow. From a pig, cow or sheep. I eat it every day. Most natural food for a human there is.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate. You can also make chocolates yourself. Melt it in a double-boiler (unsweetened and add sweetener or just melt some already sweetened chocolate). Pour into small paper muffin cups, adding fillings like coconut manna or almond butter, macadamia nuts and salt (surprisingly good), chipotle spice (actually not that bad), garam masala spice (on my list next), shredded coconut flakes, whatever.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Eat butter, ghee and olive oil- skip the coconut. How this strange, tropical food has gotten so hyped is beyond me.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Chocolate. You can also make chocolates yourself. Melt it in a double-boiler (unsweetened and add sweetener or just melt some already sweetened chocolate). Pour into small paper muffin cups, adding fillings like coconut manna or almond butter, macadamia nuts and salt (surprisingly good), chipotle spice (actually not that bad), garam masala spice (on my list next), shredded coconut flakes, whatever.
    +1

Stearic acid in cocoa is an excellent fat. In a healthy person, about half of it is converted to oleic acid by the liver. This makes cocoa a better source of oleic acid than olive oil, as it doesn't come with lots of omega 6.

And chocolate is nice.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    +1

Stearic acid in cocoa is an excellent fat. In a healthy person, about half of it is converted to oleic acid by the liver. This makes cocoa a better source of oleic acid than olive oil, as it doesn't come with lots of omega 6.

And chocolate is nice.
    +2
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast