Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: "Long-term" effects of Primal Diet page 9

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    +1

If you look around the paleo sphere, you see a lot of LCers with BG of 90-100+ and non LC paleos with BG of 70-80.

The LC->HBG pops up moderately often, but only with people who have been strict LC paleo for a while, which is why you don't see it around here as much, as this is mostly a site for newbies.
    Thanks. I'm paying attention to the veterans like you, who've seen long-term success with paleo/primal, that's for sure. For every one of you there are probably about 100 newbies who soon give up because low carb doesn't work for them.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiverz View Post
    I'll take 3 heaping bowls of white rice a day and you take a Snickers bar and a bag of Lays. Let's see who healthier after a year.

Hell, even if I ate enough rice to match the calories of the snack foods I'd be healthier. People too often confuse 'weight loss' with 'improving health' with the Primal diet. While it is true eating massive amounts of starchy carbs daily via white rice and sweet potatoes will not help you lose weight (at least without significant physical activity), the rice also doesn't have the sugar, rancid oils, etc. as the SAD snacks. I consider it a neutral food from the 'improving health' perspective.

I really think people need to separate out these two ideals when discussing Primal diets - there may be common themes but they are two different goals and can require slightly different tools to get there.
    +1.

100 grams white rice, short-grain, raw provides:
    358 calories - 79 grams of starch, and 6 grams of protein.
    23% daily RDA of iron (as it's non-haem, the body will only absorb up to about a third of this depending on its needs)
    21% daily RDA of niacin
    38% daily RDA of thiamin
    58% daily RDA of folate
    13% daily RDA of pantothenic acid
    10% daily RDA of copper
    52% daily RDA of manganese
    22% daily RDA of selenium

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Rice, white, short-grain, raw

I'm only listing micronutrients at 10% RDA and above.

Hence, white rice is not empty calories. Coconut oil, with all its benefits, is totally devoid of micronutrients. That's certainly empty calories when consumed in excess of daily medium-chain fatty acid requirements.

Butter and olive oil also have fewer micronutrients per calorie than white rice.

That said, white rice is not nutrient dense, so I wouldn't recommend it in quantity for anyone consuming much less than their recommended daily calorie intake for maintenance, i.e. someone on a low-calorie diet, especially if they are not very active. Sweet potatoes and white potatoes are more appropriate, nutrient-dense sources of safe starch (provided no deadly nightshade intolerance in the case of white potatoes).
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'll use Mark as my canary. When he keels over, I'll figure I've got twenty more years to go, and think about changing then.
    I would ask: are you feeling GOOD now? Healthy? Are you able to do all the things you wish? Were you before? Continue with what makes you feel good, until and if, it doesn't.

For lssanjose:

Low carb diets:
    Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets
    I lack the will to investigate further, I'm afraid, as I'm not convinced of any long-term health benefits, and doubt there are any conclusive studies out there yet.

Insulin sensitivity and exercise:
    Exercise and insulin sensitivity: a review. [Int J Sports Med. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
    Influence of exercise on insulin sensitivity. [J Cardiovasc Risk. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
    Exercise-induced increase in muscle insulin sensitivity

The wikipedia article on insulin resistance is pretty good (though I disagree that saturated fat is a contributing factor when everything else is good).
    Insulin resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-07-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: clarification

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    Getting back to the original point of this post. Does anyone know of any data regarding the long-term effects of a primal diet?
    I don't know of any and I don't care for three reasons:
    1)Removing poisons and processed foods can only be good
    2)I know how eating primal makes me feel
    3)I can see the long-term effects of the SAD diet all around me.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I don't know of any and I don't care for three reasons:
    1)Removing poisons and processed foods can only be good
    2)I know how eating primal makes me feel
    3)I can see the long-term effects of the SAD diet all around me.
    I think most of us are agreed on that. The most hotly debated issue is whether low carb has any role to play in terms of long-term health.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    ^^ I agree but primal isn't really about low carb. A lot of people here focus on that to loose weight but it is not the focus of primal eating.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

^^ I agree but primal isn't really about low carb. A lot of people here focus on that to loose weight but it is not the focus of primal eating.
    Totally agree with that

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    This...
    Primal =/= low carb.

Sure, it is probably going to be lower carb than SAD no matter how hard you try... but I think that is completely besides the point.
    Eating healthy whole foods isn't going to shorten peoples lives.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    This...
    Primal =/= low carb.

Sure, it is probably going to be lower carb than SAD no matter how hard you try... but I think that is completely besides the point.
    Eating healthy whole foods isn't going to shorten peoples lives.
    Agreed. Healthy whole foods are key, for micronutrients, which confer vitality.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast