Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Long-term" effects of Primal Diet page 3

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    So eat like your grandparents....but eat like they did 70-90 years ago, not today. That'll likely be close enough to Primal to keep you fairly well.
    They both ate rice as a staple of their diet throughout their lives. My grandmother was actually a vegetarian her entire life. It's very different than what I understand a healthy Primal diet to be.
    Last edited by ASC; 04-04-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: including quote

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Holy crap... what happened to his "if man made it don't eat it" idea???
    He even had his own line of breakfast cereals. Not such a terrible thing in the right context. I don't think all grains are bad. Or should I say harmful in moderate amounts.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    They both ate rice as a staple of their diet throughout their lives. My grandmother was actually a vegetarian her entire life. It's very different than what I understand a healthy Primal diet to be.
    I have 2 living grandparents who are Southern. Raised and always lived on the farm Southern... that means eggs and bacon nearly every day. Biscuits every morning, and cornbread in the evening with dinner. A good deal of beef, pork, and some chicken, fried fish occasionally if locally caught, and a ton of fruits and vegetables all grown on the farm.
    VERY LITTLE processed food other than flour for home bakes biscuits (and very occasional cakes) and cornmeal for the evening pone.
    They are both in their mid-90's and both pretty darn healthy and mentally spry.

Both of those grand parents mothers lived to be 100 years old living the same way. My grandmother's mother lived to nearly 101... My grandfather's mother lived to just shy of 100. And fathers who lived into their late 80's.

Explain again how primal is probably dangerous.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    OMG... what if?

Umm... you still never answered my question. Is there a better option???
    As in a better option than eat whole, natural, foods(veg, fruit, meat)... avoid toxins... move.

No one ever said that YOUR version of Primal has to include a massive portion of bacon and butter every day. Many people do Primal differently, including people who so mostly veg, fish, eggs and fairly low fat, some fruit.
    And btw... some rice is very much allowed.

Lets see.. lots veg, eggs and fish, some animal meat/fat on occasion, some fruit, some rice, and move a lot... HOLY SHIT man! That's the exact diet that likely made Asian's from earlier years so freaking healthy!!! It's a REVELATION!

BTW... Did you know that with the advent of modern life and increased consumption of rice/convenience foods Asians just aren't so healthy anymore.
    Is there a better option? I would say the a potential better option would be a diet that has proven to result in long lives of many people. Thus, I'm wondering if eating a diet like Asians is a better one.

You bring up an interesting point that perhaps Asian diets from earlier years are closer to a primal diet than I realized. I'm not so sure as I think they ate way too much rice. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm under the impression this is so. I think that they ate very little red meat by primal standards.
    Last edited by ASC; 04-04-2012 at 05:21 PM.

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    I have 2 living grandparents who are Southern. Raised and always lived on the farm Southern... that means eggs and bacon nearly every day. Biscuits every morning, and cornbread in the evening with dinner. A good deal of beef, pork, and some chicken, fried fish occasionally if locally caught, and a ton of fruits and vegetables all grown on the farm.
    VERY LITTLE processed food other than flour for home bakes biscuits (and very occasional cakes) and cornmeal for the evening pone.
    They are both in their mid-90's and both pretty darn healthy and mentally spry.

Both of those grand parents mothers lived to be 100 years old living the same way. My grandmother's mother lived to nearly 101... My grandfather's mother lived to just shy of 100. And fathers who lived into their late 80's.

Explain again how primal is probably dangerous.
    I used my grandparents as examples, but I'm primarily trying to address how Asians, as a group, seem to eat unhealthy diets by primal standards and still live long lives.

I'd like to see examples of large groups of people that eat primal and also live long lives into their 80's and beyond. Having long term examples would go a long way.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'd agree with that... pork, especially fatty pork was used in small portions as flavoring.

But by keeping the rice amount reasonable, and including things like Asian root vegetables for some carb sources as well... you could still be totally Primal, and totally comfortable with eating like your own Asian family used to...
    Lotsa veg... fish, eggs... sounds good to me!

Did you know that Marks own wife eats basically Ovo-Pescatarian Primal... Just sayn.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    If you want to examine a group of people that eat "unhealthy," mostly vegetarian diets heavy in nuts and soy yet have an extraordinary rate of people living to be 100 or older, Google Loma Linda, CA blue zones. They are sort of the anti-Primal in terms of diet.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    My diet mainly consists of fruit, vegetables, sweet potatoes, white rice, eggs and leanish meats, organ meats, nuts, yogurt, tea and a little coffee. I moderately use a little honey, coconut oil, butter, Himalayan salt, cinnamon and a few spices. I skip 1 or 2 meals a week and exercise every 2nd day or so and take Cod liver oil.
    That's all following the PB. I think you would be hard pressed trying to convince me I'm taking a gamble with my health and longevity.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I'm Asian and my grand parents both lived into their 90's. They both ate lots of rice as a staple of their diet. If I'm lucky, I will hopefully live into my 90's also.
    You've got good longevity genes. So do I. 3 of my my 4 grandparents lived into their 90's and their is no evidence of heart disease or cancer in any known family member, except for an aunt who got lung cancer (heavy smoker).

I think it's my grandparents who were gambling. They lucked out with the gene pool. I eat primally to increase my quality of life and not squander my gene luck. It's lowered my cholesterol, cured arthritis in my golfing elbows, and freed me from hemmerhoids and kidney stones. I'm not sure if it will allow me to live into my 90's, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be more physically and mentally fit at that age than I would have been on a conventional diet.

And the classic Asian diet is pretty primal, except for the rice. They do eat a lot of soy, but it is mostly fermented, I believe. I think rice is the least risky grain, since it has no gluten.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I used my grandparents as examples, but I'm primarily trying to address how Asians, as a group, seem to eat unhealthy diets by primal standards and still live long lives.

I'd like to see examples of large groups of people that eat primal and also live long lives into their 80's and beyond. Having long term examples would go a long way.
    Asians, by their nature, do eat a lot of rice/fish/veggies, and so they do end up living longer lives than most. However, the quality of life being good is not guaranteed, and in fact is far from it.

I'm 1/4 Japanese, my father is 1/2, and my grandmother is full Japanese. I eat Primal and my father and grandmother eat SAD/Asian diets, mostly SAD. So I won't cite their many health issues or such in this conversation.

I will cite my grandmothers father/uncles in this conversation however, as all of them are full Japanese and have never left Japan. Not a single on of them made it to 60 eating the regular old Asian diet and their quality of life in the later years (their 50s) was not good as my grandmother tells it. Admittedly, this is likely genetics at work but just because you eat an Asian diet doesn't guarantee you'll live the long Asian lifespan.

On the flipside, just eating a Primal diet doesn't guarantee you'll live a long lifespan either. But I'll argue that Primal, as far as quality of life goes, HAS to be better than any other diet. Maybe it's just my age (23), maybe it's the results I've seen (over 100 pounds lost in 8 months) but I remember what life was like before Primal and I know what life is like now; the differences are staggering.

So, I think the real question you need to be asking yourself is what was better-life before Primal or life with it? If you're telling me that you think you can live a longer AND better quality life with a diet like Asians, the diet you were on before, or some other people's diets, then by all means go for it.

But in my view the quality of life with Primal outweighs any "long living" people's on an Asian diet, a Southern diet, or a SAD diet. I'd rather live Primal a decade than live SAD three decades; I'll get more out of that decade than any person on a SAD diet and any person on another diet either.

But, those are all my opinions, and my two cents. Hope it was worth something.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast