Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Long-term" effects of Primal Diet page 2

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I think your question is backwards, since primal doesn't introduce new foods. More accurately, the question you seem to be asking is "Does gluten, seed oils, excessive fructose, pesticides, unfermented soy, etc. somehow prolong life?"
    There are examples of certain groups of people that live long lives despite eating lots of the things that are unhealthy according to a primal diet. Take the Asian population for example. Any time I'm in China town I see lot of very old Asians that are still walking around and active. I'm Asian and my grand parents both lived into their 90's. They both ate lots of rice as a staple of their diet. If I'm lucky, I will hopefully live into my 90's also.

So on one hand, "playing it safe" might be eating a diet like the Asian population so that hopefully I will living as long. On the other hand, there is eating a primal diet that seems to be much healthier, but the long term effects have yet to be seen. (When I say long-term, I mean the effects when a person who lives into their 60's, 70's, and 80's having eating primal for the majority of his/her life.)

Why take the gamble? If I'm trying to live longer than my grandparents, who both died in their 90's, then perhaps I can live to be 100 years old. But what if there are longer term health conditions caused by a primal diet that only become apparent after 20 or 30 years eating that way. That might cause me to die at 50 or 60 years old. The cost/benefit ratio just doesn't seem to add up.

Note: I really love eating primal. But recently, it just seems like it's not worth the gamble.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    There are examples of certain groups of people that live long lives despite eating lots of the things that are unhealthy according to a primal diet. Take the Asian population for example. Any time I'm in China town I see lot of very old Asians that are still walking around and active. I'm Asian and my grand parents both lived into their 90's. They both ate lots of rice as a staple of their diet. If I'm lucky, I will hopefully live into my 90's also.

So on one hand, "playing it safe" might be eating a diet like the Asian population so that hopefully I will living as long. On the other hand, there is eating a primal diet that seems to be much healthier, but the long term effects have yet to be seen. (When I say long-term, I mean the effects when a person who lives into their 60's, 70's, and 80's having eating primal for the majority of his/her life.)

Why take the gamble? If I'm trying to live longer than my grandparents, who both died in their 90's, then perhaps I can live to be 100 years old. But what if there are longer term health conditions caused by a primal diet that only become apparent after 20 or 30 years eating that way. That might cause me to die at 50 or 60 years old. The cost/benefit ratio just doesn't seem to add up.

Note: I really love eating primal. But recently, it just seems like it's not worth the gamble.
    Do we have to rehash the absurd issues with epidemiological studies and why many statistics about health regarding a particular population can be skewed. Everything from not being truthful on the little form your given to not accounting for other healthful or unhealthy lifestyle or environmental factors. Its been done already in many places including right here in the "Asian Paradox" just look em up.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    So eat like your grandparents....but eat like they did 70-90 years ago, not today. That'll likely be close enough to Primal to keep you fairly well.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Jack Lalanne, though decidedly LOW fat as a ?Ovo-Pescatarian? with a preference for raw veg, is very well known for saying "if man made it, don't eat it"!

He eschewed animal fats, meat, and dairy, but I still have to love him for that saying!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Oh, crap.

Yes, even if we say "But (insert population here) people eat tons of carbs and soy, and they're healthy!", then we have to talk about how white rice is not the same as grains or pasta, and that tofu is more of a condiment in that culture, not a meat substitute, and look at how much fish they're eating, and when was the last time you saw a (insert population here) family eat a pasta dinner and then completely finish off a monstrous frosted cake afterward.

It's the big picture. It's the culture as a whole.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post

Holy fucking shit.

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Humans are animals, with me so far? Now, can you think of ANY wild animal that purposely changes its diet, to a decisively shittier one later in life, with the intend to PROLONG it's life?

no?

case closed.
    There are many examples of situations where short term benefits are positive but the long term effects are negative. If one were to die before coming across the long term effect, then the long term effect would not be apparent.

For example, skin cancer tends to happen later in life. (I'm just going to guess and say that most people who get skin cancer usually get it after the age of 30.) So spending lots of time in the sun is healthy for you as it provides vitamin D. If people didn't live past the age of 30, then they would never know that the long term effects of excess exposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer.

So bringing this back the original question, just because a primal diet seems to be better in the shorter term, it doesn't mean that it won't lead to health complications after 20 or 30 or 40 years.

I'm not saying that I think it will lead to health issues. (Actually I think that it's a great/healthy diet.) I'm just saying that the best "BET" might be to eat like modern day groups of people that have diets that have proven to result in long lifespans, like some Asian cultures.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, you could live to an old age and look like Jack Lalanne:

Or you could live to an old age like Ancel Keys:

I wonder which one had the diet that was closer to the Primal Blueprint?
    I've read interviews where Jack Lalanne stated that he was a vegetarian most of his life and added in fish later on. He also consumed soy protein powder and took 40 supplements daily. He also recommended whole grains like brown rice. He was actually probably pretty close to Ancel Keys diet-wise.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

OMG... what if?

Umm... you still never answered my question. Is there a better option???
    As in a better option than eat whole, natural, foods(veg, fruit, meat)... avoid toxins... move.

No one ever said that YOUR version of Primal has to include a massive portion of bacon and butter every day. Many people do Primal differently, including people who so mostly veg, fish, eggs and fairly low fat, some fruit.
    And btw... some rice is very much allowed.

Lets see.. lots veg, eggs and fish, some animal meat/fat on occasion, some fruit, some rice, and move a lot... HOLY SHIT man! That's the exact diet that likely made Asian's from earlier years so freaking healthy!!! It's a REVELATION!

BTW... Did you know that with the advent of modern life and increased consumption of rice/convenience foods Asians just aren't so healthy anymore.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I've read interviews where Jack Lalanne stated that he was a vegetarian most of his life and added in fish later on. He also consumed soy protein powder and took 40 supplements daily. He also recommended whole grains like brown rice. He was actually probably pretty close to Ancel Keys diet-wise.
    Holy crap... what happened to his "if man made it don't eat it" idea???
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast