Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: "Long-term" effects of Primal Diet page 10

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    So, I think the real question you need to be asking yourself is what was better-life before Primal or life with it? If you're telling me that you think you can live a longer AND better quality life with a diet like Asians, the diet you were on before, or some other people's diets, then by all means go for it.

But in my view the quality of life with Primal outweighs any "long living" people's on an Asian diet, a Southern diet, or a SAD diet. I'd rather live Primal a decade than live SAD three decades; I'll get more out of that decade than any person on a SAD diet and any person on another diet either.
    VERY wise words! The goal for any of us has to be having a happy and healthy life, no matter if you live until you're 70 or you live until you're 90. I can't speak to the Asian thing, although I believe that the typical Asian diet is very heavy in fish and vegetables, always healthy food sources, and that I don't think rice is as bad for you as other grains.

All I know is, I look at myself and I look at my family, and I can already see how much healthier I am than my siblings. I'm enjoying life in a way that they can't while they still eat junk. My sister is diabetic, my brother is morbidly obese. Neither one of them could stand up to my standard daily walk of 2 hours at around 2.5 mph. They get worn out easily, and they can't enjoy going to a museum or a zoo for the day, because it's just too hard on them. As long as I'm in such great shape, I see no reason to change things.

Look at Mark Sisson. He's almost 60 and in better shape than your average 18 year old. Paleo life expectancy was to age 54 (one you avoided dying before you were 15 - infant mortality and all that), and that was before modern medicine, proper sanitation, etc. It's really hard to know how long a Paleo type could have lived with the same advantages we now have. Heck, it's kept my SAD father alive to age 70, though not without developing heart disease and diabetes, which severely takes away from his quality of life.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    For lssanjose:

Low carb diets:
    Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets
    I lack the will to investigate further, I'm afraid, as I'm not convinced of any long-term health benefits, and doubt there are any conclusive studies out there yet.

Insulin sensitivity and exercise:
    Exercise and insulin sensitivity: a review. [Int J Sports Med. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
    Influence of exercise on insulin sensitivity. [J Cardiovasc Risk. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI
    Exercise-induced increase in muscle insulin sensitivity

The wikipedia article on insulin resistance is pretty good (though I disagree that saturated fat is a contributing factor when everything else is good).
    Insulin resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I'll look into these. Thanks for providing them. I'll probably think about renewing my alumnus membership, just for academic research, and resources.

Responding to Paleo not equaling low carb, i can go with this, in terms of dictate. Inevitability will work things to where it may end up that way, for some. I think; and forgive me if I'm wrong, intermittent fasting helps space the "numbers" out, for those who are stickler for such items of interest.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    ^^I never understood "planned" cheats. I can understand going out with friends and eating a less than idea meal, being polite at a birthday party and eating some home make cake but to "plan" to eat crap does not make sense to me.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    ^^I never understood "planned" cheats. I can understand going out with friends and eating a less than idea meal, being polite at a birthday party and eating some home make cake but to "plan" to eat crap does not make sense to me.
    It can keep a person sane and actually avoid bingeing. If you feel like bingeing there is always the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, a lot of times when someone binges, the diet is ruined, and they start eating shit again and give up. When it is part of your diet to "cheat" then you aren't messing up. There can be quite a psychological benefit.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    ^^perhaps for the first 2-4 weeks as your body gets off the cravings but as most people find once you eat real food for a while you realize the tasteless process if "food" is just crap.
    You also need to keep in mind this is not a diet in the traditional sense it is about eating real food and avoiding poisons. If you have to cheat, if you are out with friends etc go for it - but to plan regular cheats is a recipe for failure.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 04-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    "...I'm not entirely sure the paleothic period actually existed, so I'm not really sure who ate what-when. However, I do know that I feel like junk when I eat processed crap. But I feel awesome when I'm eating lots of veggies, meat, some nuts, some fruit, and good fat. I'll continue to eat primally until my body tells me something different."

Thanks for your post and glad it is working well for you. To a certain degree I'm of a like mind.
    Last edited by Terry H; 04-08-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add quotations

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    I'm not entirely sure the paleothic period actually existed...

Last edited by NWPrimate; 04-08-2012 at 09:26 AM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post

NWP... It's a religious issue.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

zsadie is offline Senior Member
    I believe in the Primal way of eating. I love the food, I love the way it makes me feel. I've read many a success story of people in their 60s trying the PB and have had positively amazing results. If it was bad for us in our old age, it just seems logical that they wouldn't have the same successes.
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post

Actually I was quoting and responding to a prev. post in this thread and qualified MY statement with the words "to a certain degree...." You made a perfectly sound statement earlier in this thread that I still support BTW.
    Last edited by Terry H; 04-08-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: sp

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast