Thread: What other probiotics should I get for general health? page

archbox is offline Member

What other probiotics should I get for general health?

Primal Fuel
    I made some probiotic yogurt for 24 hours, using a starter of plain Greek God's active yogurt (I prefer Fage but this was on sale). It said it had 5 live strains of S. thermophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. acidophilus, Bifidus, and L. casei.
    I also take this 10 strain 10 BCFU pill:
    Vitacost Probiotic 10-20 - 20 Billion CFU** -- 100 Vegetarian Capsules - Vitacost

Are there any other strains that have been shown to be helpful? Thanks! I also give these to my dog since she has yeast problems.

Edit: And I'm making sauerkraut! I thought about kefir and koumboucha and such but I don't want to have to bother with finding a yeast/bacteria starter, and I don't want the alcohol from the yeast to hurt any of my other strains or anything (and my dog obviously can't have it). I prefer things like kimchi where it ferments on its own.
    Last edited by archbox; 04-04-2012 at 02:09 PM.
    5'10", 140 lb, 21yo male. Primal for a year.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Nothing "ferments on it's own." The wild yeast comes from the air. If you overdose something with a starter yeast, then the majority of the yeast will be like the starter. Just sit something on the counter, the yeasts could vary.

I've made vinegar from the starter at this company and it's very good:
    Vinegar Starters | Beer and Winemaking Supplies, Northmapton MA

I made kumiss/keifer from this recipe and it was also good:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post781879

archbox is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    Nothing "ferments on it's own." The wild yeast comes from the air. If you overdose something with a starter yeast, then the majority of the yeast will be like the starter. Just sit something on the counter, the yeasts could vary.

I've made vinegar from the starter at this company and it's very good:
    Vinegar Starters | Beer and Winemaking Supplies, Northmapton MA

I made kumiss/keifer from this recipe and it was also good:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post781879
    Cabbage ferments on its own. As in, without having to buy a starter.
    5'10", 140 lb, 21yo male. Primal for a year.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archbox View Post
    Cabbage ferments on its own. As in, without having to buy a starter.
    You can also ferment pickles that way -- have to be exposed to air -- as the YEAST comes from the air.
    Like I said -- nothing ferments without yeast.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Just a thought, have you checked your dog's food for additives and grains? Might help with their yeast troubles.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
    You can also ferment pickles that way -- have to be exposed to air -- as the YEAST comes from the air.
    Like I said -- nothing ferments without yeast.
    From what I understand it is not yeast, but bacteria that are the factors in lactofermentation. These bacteria are already alive and well on the cabbage leaf, or vegetables before being put into the saline solution. The high salt content selects for the growth of the right bacteria while killing of pathogenic sorts. As the acidity rises it then again selects for the bacilli that thrive at that level and moves the fermentation on to the next level.

Anyway I would incorporate different veggie lacto-ferments along with my dairy ferments to get a good variety. I have this book, but you don't need to buy it as the premise for "wild" lacto-ferments are pretty simple. Wild Fermentation

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and I totally agree about the kefir and kamboucha starters. More trouble than they are worth, at least in my case to keep the buggers going.