Thread: Paleo by Loren Cordain page

Paleo by Loren Cordain

Shop Now
    The Paleo Diet book was the first book I read in regard to eating paleo. I followed it and lost weight very easily.
    He does do recommend any grains or no dairy. He says that dairy causes acne. I know that my adult acne cleared up and so did my sinuses when I stopped consuming dairy. A pat of butter can cause problems for me.

He also says that the paleo diet is not necessarily a low carb diet because of fruit and veggies being eaten. He actually recommends eating lots of fruit and veggies. I followed his advise except that I ate higher fat meats, he recommends leaner meats. I ate an avocado almost everyday, lots of fruit like bananas, apples, prunes, and cups of veggies like salad greens, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, etc...I ate olives, olive oil, and homemade salad dressing.

But, then I started experimenting with lowering my carbs to lose weight faster.
    I was losing weight FAST enough. I had lost 65 pounds in 4 1/2 months. Going lower carb by lowering my fruit intake or not eating any fruit did not work for me. I not only stalled in my weight loss but I started having intense cravings that I eventually gave into. I started gaining weight very quickly!

I have been trying to get back in the weight loss phase but didn't go back to what had really worked for me.
    I have been following Dr. Cordain's recommendations the last few days and finally lost 5 pounds! I feel better. I don't count carbs or calories. I eat meat, fruits, veggies, fats, and exercise moderately to light.

I just wanted to put this out there to encourage someone who may be struggling. There are many ways to do paleo. His book is what has worked for me.

Also, I do not eat nightshade veggies or nuts because of an autoimmune response I get to them.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    cool.

i'm likely closer to cordain myself. I mostly eat fruits and veggies, meat and eggs. a modest amount of butter (1-3 'pats' a week?). very few nuts.

my current diet looks like this (yesterday):

2 hard boiled eggs, 1 orange;

thai chicken curry (with broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, green beans, bamboo shoots, and something else that I can't remember -- oh, ginger. lots of ginger. ).

"taco salad" -- lots of different lettuces, cucumber, fennel, tomato (home-grown!), orange, avocado, bell pepper, carrot, celery, and jerusalem artichoke, venison and beef mince with taco spices;

1 orange and square of dark chocolate;

water, water, water, and tea (black tea and peppermint tea).

I'm finding that higher veggie/fruit is quite nice.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Uniqueloymade - that's really interesting. I know you don't carb count now, but can you give an example of your daily fruit and veg intake these days?
    I've been struggling myself on very low carb

I eat around 10 servings a day of fruits and veggies. Some days I eat more fruits and some days it's more veggies. It feels so natural to eat this way!

Here is a sample of what how I've been eating:

chicken breast wrapped in nitrate free bacon, plain baked sweet potato
    coffee with stevia and hemp milk (this is the only "milk" my body can tolerate)

I naturally drink lots of water throughout the day.

Big organic spring mix leafy salad w/ cucumbers, red onions, diced apples served with homemade dressing made from olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, juiced lemon, minced garlic, a little truvia
    grilled hamburger

I may have coffee w/ hemp milk again in the afternoon

Grilled salmon, black berries, roasted squash & zucchini

The above menu has 9-10 servings of fruits and veggies. This keeps me full and my blood sugars stable.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I did the same thing...started balanced and then went unbalanced. VLC caused a binge eating issue with me plus hypothyroid symptoms and hypoglycemia. I now eat 75-100 grams of carb/day. That looks like...1 fruit, 1 cup of beets, 1/2 a sweet potato plus 2 cups of other veg. My negative symptoms have stablized and I am losing weight again.

When you say 10 servings, do you mean 1/2 cups or just 10 different veg and fruit? I always go for a variety, but eat 3-4 cups of veg and fruit at the most.

Hey Pebbles, I have read your story. You are such an inspiration to me!
    My servings are loosely based on the American Dietetic serving sizes. Medium sized banana= 2 fruits, 1c. leafy greens= 1 veggie, 4oz. sweet potato= 1 serving starchy veggie.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    That's great news uniquelymade.

I'm eating a similar amount of fruit and vegetables daily, for gut health, micronutrient content and electrolyte balance. I've never bought into VLC. When I went primal I replaced corn and pulses with sweet potatoes and vegetables, and upped my protein and saturated fat intake a bit.

Most of my autoimmune/inflammatory health issues have gone, apart from a bit of mild eczema which tends to flare up if I overdo omega 6 or if I cheat significantly when I eat out.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquelymade View Post
    Hey Pebbles, I have read your story. You are such an inspiration to me!
    My servings are loosely based on the American Dietetic serving sizes. Medium sized banana= 2 fruits, 1c. leafy greens= 1 veggie, 4oz. sweet potato= 1 serving starchy veggie.
    Looks like you are getting in more fruit and veg than me. Good for you!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67