Thread: raw eggs page

Comma is offline Senior Member

raw eggs

Primal Fuel
    I'm so bored with scrambled eggs, I can't eat them anymore. Nor bacon, suddenly.

Now I'm having two whipped raw eggs in a cup of milk for breakfast. It's so quick and surprisingly non-icky, and talk about convenient! The eggs are sometimes from the market, sometimes from the farm (no steady supply, alas). What d'you think? I don't want to get salmonella, either.

I've been struggling to get the breakfast right for a while now. I tried to have a piece of sprouted toast with eggs, bacon, veggies and cocnut oil, butter and cream in various variations around 8, but around 10 a.m. I invariably get annoyed with the world.

Today I had my coffee with cream and eggs and milk, and was fine and perfecty patient until noon. Good, right? Please tell me this is going to repeat itself and that I'm not going to get salmonella.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Salmonella more commonly comes from the shell, so you're probably fine. Personally I would reserve my raw egg consumption to locally farmed eggs because there is a person you can actually ask about their production & feeding methods.

It sounds like you aren't eating enough, period. Sprouted toast is not a great option as it's grain based and probably fairly high carb. If you have blood sugar issues, or are insulin resistant or anything like that, having too many carbs in the morning can leave you feeling wilted within a couple of hours. I am prone to hypoglycemia and find that the only breakfast that gets me through till lunch without wanting to sleep or feeling sad is several eggs with some other meat on the side, sometimes also with a protein shake, or leftover meat & veggies from dinner the night before. Just remember that breakfast is just another meal, it doesn't have to be any particular kind of food (like bacon & eggs), just eat what you want and try to eat more.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    I often make a shake in the mornings with 2 raw eggs (we have our own hens), a good handful of spinach, a couple tbsp of yoghurt or coconut cream, berries if I have any, 1 medium or 1/2 a large banana. Blend all together. Keeps me going for hours.

In saying that, breakfast is not always the same. Sometimes I make a frittata or have a salad with a protein (leftover cold meat, steamed fish, hard boiled eggs etc). Or leftover stew/casserole, or zucchini pancakes. Another way I have eggs is to heat a couple cups of my very thick home made vegetable soup and whip 2 eggs into it. Breakfast is just another meal.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I always wanted someone to tell me I'm not eating enough!

I come in around 2000 a day and not gaining or losing any weight, but maybe I have to shift the calories to breakfast...It was around 400 this morning, with lots of cream in the coffee. But I'm an evening eater by custom. *sigh* Drinking an eggshake is so nice, fast and I can take care of the kiddo-morning chaos.

I know that when I fiddled around with Tim Ferris' diet (eat the same meal always, meat, veggies, and beans by 3rds) my blood sugar was smooth sailing. Maybe that (swap beans for sweet potatoes) will be the next thing I try if this doesn't work out.

I guess I will try the egg shake for the remainder of the week, and see if operation patience is still on.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I put the yolk raw in my smoothie but cook the white in some coconut oil before I put it in, because that much reduces the antinutrients in the white. But I use only local pastured eggs for raw consumption--the deep contamination that gets inside the eggs is more likely in the bad conditions of factory farms. In the past, when I wanted to make a raw egg dish (such as some chocolate mousse recipes) and didn't have access to local eggs, I bought pasturized in the shell eggs. But I was serving guests and so being careful; I might not be so careful for just me.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    I always wanted someone to tell me I'm not eating enough!

I come in around 2000 a day and not gaining or losing any weight, but maybe I have to shift the calories to breakfast...It was around 400 this morning, with lots of cream in the coffee. But I'm an evening eater by custom. *sigh* Drinking an eggshake is so nice, fast and I can take care of the kiddo-morning chaos.

I know that when I fiddled around with Tim Ferris' diet (eat the same meal always, meat, veggies, and beans by 3rds) my blood sugar was smooth sailing. Maybe that (swap beans for sweet potatoes) will be the next thing I try if this doesn't work out.

I guess I will try the egg shake for the remainder of the week, and see if operation patience is still on.
    Ah okay, for some reason it seemed small. I find that larger meals in the AM work best for my energy...actually I tend to make breakfast and dinner pretty even, with a smallish lunch. Not sure if it really works since I'm often hungry, but oh well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).