Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugar substitute besides Stevia page

mercop is offline Member

Sugar substitute besides Stevia

Shop Now
    Just about the only place there is still sugar in my diet is my coffee. I tried Stevia and it was the most horrible thing I have ever tasted. I know just about everything else is just chemicals. Please help me rid my life of sugar- George

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I, too, think Stevia is abominable. On the other hand, a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of coffee isn't going to destroy you. I drink my coffee unsweetened. I started years ago putting less and less sugar in my coffee until I no longer needed to sweeten it and nowI can't drink it any other way. While I prefer it lightened with some cream, I can also drink it black.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Might try another brand. I hate all the "spoon for spoon" formulations, and all the liquid ones as well, they're bitter and/or have a bad aftertaste. But the pure powder concentrate is fine. It's very concentrated, I use about 1/10th of a tsp in my coffee and it's not far off my standard two spoons or three packet of sugar in terms of sweetness.

The brand I like is New Roots "Sweetleaf", comes in 15g or 30g containers. A 30g container is good for over a month, with 4-5 cups of coffee/tea per day.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    i use a little stevia and lots of organic heavy cream.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I don't see what's the problem with putting a teaspoon of coconut sugar, sucanant or raw honey into your coffee to sweeten. There are 16 calories in a teaspoon of sugar. There are 100 calories in 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Which do you think matters more? Your body can absorb a teaspoon of sugar without "breaking a fast" - that's just glycogen partitioning. 100 calories of heavy cream (nearly pure fat)? Guess again.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    - that's just glycogen partitioning.
    Can you explain more in detail how this works? Or give direction with a link. xD

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    dextrose

It's two glucose molecules where sucrose is one fructose and one glucose molecule. It's not as sweet as sucrose but you can sweeten stuff with it.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

mercop is offline Member
    Guess I am a gonna try honey. I am a retired cop and coffee junkie, not in that I drink it all day but that my two cups in the morning and one in the evening are a huge part of my routine. I have had all kinds of coffee but my favorite is instant made by my wife. So much so that I have here prepack it when I travel, even though it does not taste the same. The problem is she uses two tsps of sugar per cup (so total 6 in a day), and a splash of milk. Might have to just wean myself down to no sugar over time I guess. Thanks for the insight- George

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast