Thread: Chuck steak

Chuck steak

Shop Now
    How do you eat chuck steak? It's fairly cheap but it's really hard to eat. I end up having to throw out several bites because I chew and chew and can't seem to get it chewed enough to swallow. There's got to be a way you are supposed to prepare it that makes it delicious instead of nasty. What's the secret?
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Low and slow. I've actually never cooked a chuck steak, but I've done plenty of chuck roasts, which makes great pot roast. Throw it in the slow cooker with a little bit of liquid on low for 8 hours (or oven at 200 or lower for 4+ hours) and it'll be great.

I have thrown mine in a dish with tomato paste, a little bit of chicken broth, mixed veggies, salt, pepper and garlic and covered in foil. Put in oven at 325 for 2 hours. It comes out more like a stew and the steak falls apart. You just have to cook it a long time to tenderize it up a bit.

Use a wet cooking method like braising. A long cook time with added liquid will break it down so it's not so tough.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

There's my mistake. Fried in a pan for a few minutes is not the right way for sure.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Marinate that sucker for a few days, then slow cook:-)

Huh. I pan fry mine all the time, and have no problems.

Weird.

braise that bad boy. also, slicing red meat is half the battle. thin & against the grain needs to be the mantra. makes all the difference in the world!

Slow and low...or use a pressure cooker. You need to cook it long enough for the connective tissue to melt and make it juicy. That's the tough part that you spit out.

Shop Now
    As mentioned, long and low, great in a slow cooked chilli or curry, do mine for 4 hours minimum, but generally 6 to 8, and it falls to pieces!