Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can you help me lower carbs? page 2

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Sorry if this has already been addressed, I didn't have time to read the entire thread. It's pretty simple, you need to decide whether you want to eat nuts and fruit, or whether you want to be low carb. There's no magic formula. If you want to be low carb you don't eat foods like fruit and nuts.

You don't have to be ultra-low carb to be primal, but if you want to cut the carbs you better get used to eating meat

mhaeffne Guest

Ok, I will get some meat at the store tomorrow. I had bought some before, but it went green in the fridge before I could cook it.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Seconding that duck is probably one of the worse domesticated meats to try meat-eating with. In addition to taste (which is not mild) duck is best when cooked rare. Well-done duck is tough and rare meat is asking a lot of a vegetarian making forays into the meat-eating land.

Maybe a chili with lots of tomatoes, peppers, and onions and some chunks of stew beef would be a better way to start?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Getting used to meat again is difficult but necessary if you're going to save your health. Please read Lierre Keith's book "The Vegetarian Myth." It will help. I promise.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

primal pete is offline Senior Member

typical "healthy lean" chicken breast is pretty nasty...the fattier darker leg meat tastes worlds better. Not quite as intense as duck but...what can I say well cooked duck is delicious, and easy to mess up.

Paneristi is offline Member

Like you I'm not a huge meat fan, so I eat Lots of big salads made with beets. Sardines, or Tuna, Pine nuts, wallnuts. boiled eggs, chopped celery. Followerd by a whole coconut (I buy the younger ones with the water inside and where the flesh is still immature about 5mms thick ...and a few blackberries and raspberries.

I kicked cheese and milk, yougurt as it stalled my fat loss.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Unless fruit is a big trigger for you to overeat carbs, then just cut back. Limit yourself to one serving per day or whatever works for you. Just remember if you make it an excuse then you'll continue rationalizing it.

As for your aversion to meat, NMG pointed you to Carrie Sisson's profile. Primal pescartarianism seems a viable option.

You may want to add more fats that don't taste meaty, such as olive and coconut oil, lard (if done right, it won't taste like bacon , palm oil and perhaps some others.

My mom has some weird aversion to meat, she finds the texture unappealing. No amount of information convinces her to up her intake, but it never hurts to make some attempts.

kcurtain Guest

I totally understand your aversion to meat. When I first ate meat after being vegetarian for 15 years, I couldn't stand it. I took one bite and felt sick to my stomach. It felt all gristly and fatty and disgusting. It actually took me a few months of having just a bite here and there in order to get past it. Now I eat meat every day and love fatty cuts. So my advice is to just keep trying it because most likely you'll get past your aversion.

And if you don't, then just eat fish! I'd try to avoid mercury poisoning, though. Stay away from tuna and the really high mercury fish and stick to fish that are lower down the food chain.

mia
    mia is offline Junior Member

How about some chicken broth? If you haven't eaten meat in a long time it may not just be psychological it may be your stomach has forgotten how to digest it?? (NOT a scientific opinion) Try making some meat/ bone broths without any meat in it chunksto get you used to the taste.

In some ways its like being a baby getting used to new food. Good to start with liquidy or mushy things (lol)

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

"Ok, I will get some meat at the store tomorrow. I had bought some before, but it went green in the fridge before I could cook it. "

@ the OP: make sure to freeze the meat if you don't use it within 2 days of purchase. It spoils very quickly in the fridge but it will keep in the freezer for much much much longer :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast