Thread: How much protein? page

Angelique is offline Member

How much protein?

How do I figure how much protein to eat? I'm 5'5" female and weigh 225lbs. I'm 40 yrs old and obviously I need to lose weight. Thanks for help with this.

Also, how many carbs and fats?

Hazy1966 is offline Member
    I'm quite new to the forum and to PB so please be careful with my advice. Some more experienced wise heads might help you a bit more.

First up, I'd be determining your basal metabolic rate (BMR), and also your lean weight / fat weight composition.

For weight and fat loss I'd recommend eating around 500 to 800 calories per day below your BMR.

Protein intake should ideally be between 0.7 and 1.0 gram per pound of your lean body weight.
    Carb intake should be between 50 and 100 grams, and from quality sources such as colourful vegetables.
    Fat intake should be whatever it takes to attain your daily calorie goal.

Bear in mind that protein and carbs contain 4 calories per gram, wheres fat contains 9 calories per gram.

Once you do a bit of label reading and get to know your foods, it's quite easy to come up with an easy eating plan.

Supplenting your eating plan with regular slow cardio sessions and some weight training workouts will definately accelerate your progress, but the eating plan is the most important component.

Good luck.
    Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
    86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
    Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
    Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
    Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

lordgrover is offline Member
    Again, I'm new here too so my advice may be taken with a pinch of salt. :hehe:

I can't be arsed with the maths of working it all out; I have a fist sized portion of protein e.g. chicken/turkey breast, steak or fish and about twice as much 'good' carbs on the plate twice a day, sometimes three times.
    Yesterday for example was no breakfast, lunch was baked chicken breast with garlic & herbs (cold as cooked the previous night) with broccoli, carrots and purple sprouting broccoli. Tea time I had a big mixed salad with prawns and a lemon/oil dressing.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I've been around primal for a decent period of time, and my advice is this:

Don't worry about macros or calories(or weight loss).

Focus on one thing, and one thing only: eat real food. Nothing processed, no poisons(like grains, seed oil, etc).

In addition, get sleep and reduce stress. Check for common deficiencies, like D3, Mg and such. Don't stress about it, but look at it.

Next, get your sleep right. Bring your stress as low as possible.

Do some biologically appropriate exercise, as outlined by the three primal laws.

When all of this is solid and steady, give it a few months for the weight to start moving. At that point, if it's not, you can worry about things like macros and calories.

Get consistent with primal, let that make you healthy, then lean out.

The failure rate is much higher with people who try to count calories and macros from the beginning.

Meegads is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I've been around primal for a decent period of time, and my advice is this:

Don't worry about macros or calories(or weight loss).

Focus on one thing, and one thing only: eat real food. Nothing processed, no poisons(like grains, seed oil, etc).

In addition, get sleep and reduce stress. Check for common deficiencies, like D3, Mg and such. Don't stress about it, but look at it.

Next, get your sleep right. Bring your stress as low as possible.

Do some biologically appropriate exercise, as outlined by the three primal laws.

When all of this is solid and steady, give it a few months for the weight to start moving. At that point, if it's not, you can worry about things like macros and calories.

Get consistent with primal, let that make you healthy, then lean out.

The failure rate is much higher with people who try to count calories and macros from the beginning.
    This is an AWESOME post! I just started PB a couple of days ago, and I too was wondering about the ratio of fats:/proteins:carbs I should be eating. I was working myself into a tizzy trying to do all the math and balance everything out! I shall take your advice and revisit the macros later. Thank you!
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools