Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting off the meal plan / talking to a doctor page

evertastica is offline Member

Getting off the meal plan / talking to a doctor

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so the time has come for me to get off my college meal plan. After almost two years at college, almost a year primal / paleo I think it is in my best interest for my current and future health to no long be on the meal plan.

The issue: I need a legitimate doctorís note with a ďrealĒ excuse as to why I cannot eat their food.
    Iím on a small campus, one main eating venue with a few additional cafť type scenes. I put up with what I could this past year, supplemented my own food too (nonperishable/affordable primal foods).
    This last semester though I just got fed up with only eating chicken (poor quality IMO), veggies, olive oil(bad quality), hard boiled eggs, and occasionally some decent meat that wasnít covered in sauces. Certainly not worth $1750 of food per semester (approx. 16 weeks)Ö thatís $100 a week I could spend on food.

How should I approach this? I donít visit the doctor regularly because Iím in good health, always have been, so I donít have any ďspecial connectionsĒ with a doctor who will understand nor do I wish to really have to explain that Iím primal/paleo to the doctor.

I already planned out how I will manage once Iím off the plan. I already have a mini fridge, hot pot, magic bullet blender, and will be purchasing a decent microwave. I am within walking distance to grocery stores and just a short bus/subway ride away from wholefoods/fairway/traders Joes. I go home every 2-3 weeks for the weekend and will be able to also get stuff there/cook up some additional meals.

Yes, I know microwaves are not the ideal choice, I did some research too and I feel I can adequately supply myself with decent nutrition using the tools I have.
    I found several websites offering recipes and instructions on microwaving food, in particular meat. Yes I wonít have the same texture but the effects on nutrition are minimal to none based on what Iíve found. Steamed veggies, sweet potatoes, hard boiling eggs in a hot pot, I feel are all options and I will have more variety this way.

What do I need to tell the doctor to get me a note for the school? I have no outstanding ďrealĒ allergies that I know of; although I feel though that I am very sensitive to gluten and HFCS in particular. I donít want to lie but honestly I canít eat like this anymore. The only thing I can think of is that my athletic performance is suffering and I have had some crazy mood swings recently (too low carb/not enough access to healthy fats).

Advice/suggestions appreciated!

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evertastica View Post
    Okay, so the time has come for me to get off my college meal plan. After almost two years at college, almost a year primal / paleo I think it is in my best interest for my current and future health to no long be on the meal plan.

The issue: I need a legitimate doctorís note with a ďrealĒ excuse as to why I cannot eat their food.
    Iím on a small campus, one main eating venue with a few additional cafť type scenes. I put up with what I could this past year, supplemented my own food too (nonperishable/affordable primal foods).
    This last semester though I just got fed up with only eating chicken (poor quality IMO), veggies, olive oil(bad quality), hard boiled eggs, and occasionally some decent meat that wasnít covered in sauces. Certainly not worth $1750 of food per semester (approx. 16 weeks)Ö thatís $100 a week I could spend on food.

How should I approach this? I donít visit the doctor regularly because Iím in good health, always have been, so I donít have any ďspecial connectionsĒ with a doctor who will understand nor do I wish to really have to explain that Iím primal/paleo to the doctor.

I already planned out how I will manage once Iím off the plan. I already have a mini fridge, hot pot, magic bullet blender, and will be purchasing a decent microwave. I am within walking distance to grocery stores and just a short bus/subway ride away from wholefoods/fairway/traders Joes. I go home every 2-3 weeks for the weekend and will be able to also get stuff there/cook up some additional meals.

Yes, I know microwaves are not the ideal choice, I did some research too and I feel I can adequately supply myself with decent nutrition using the tools I have.
    I found several websites offering recipes and instructions on microwaving food, in particular meat. Yes I wonít have the same texture but the effects on nutrition are minimal to none based on what Iíve found. Steamed veggies, sweet potatoes, hard boiling eggs in a hot pot, I feel are all options and I will have more variety this way.

What do I need to tell the doctor to get me a note for the school? I have no outstanding ďrealĒ allergies that I know of; although I feel though that I am very sensitive to gluten and HFCS in particular. I donít want to lie but honestly I canít eat like this anymore. The only thing I can think of is that my athletic performance is suffering and I have had some crazy mood swings recently (too low carb/not enough access to healthy fats).

Advice/suggestions appreciated!
    I would tell the doc that you are experiencing a lot of food sensitivities and it is too hard to narrow down what they are not knowing all of the ingredients in your food. That it is making you feel miserable and are severly limited in what you can tolerate from the dining options you have. For meat you might consider a small crockpot. You could do roasts, veggies, stews, soups in it. Good luck!

evertastica is offline Member
    Thanks, yes that is what i'm thinking about telling them. I just don't want to have to go through an array of allergy tests.
    I'm pretty sure they don't allow crock pots in the dorm (fire hazard?) I'll have to double check.

serah is offline Junior Member
    I would add that informing the doc of what you can (and intend on including) eat may help soothe his/her possible anxieties.* Mention that you'll be eating lots of fresh vegetables, good oils, lean meats (even if what you actually eat is not so lean ) and other "healthful" CW foods.

Also, I would suggest if you can swing it getting a toaster oven. We live on our sailboat, which is probably smaller than your dorm room. I cook most meals with the toaster oven, even roasts come out great. Avoids some of the microwave meat eating issues. Roasted vegetables just don't come our right from the microwave! Just my $.02.

* I was told the other day that somehow eliminating grains, and controlling my insulin would lead to diabetes... *sigh*

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Does your dorm have a shared kitchen? Mine had one on the first floor Freshman year, and on every floor of the larger building I lived on Sophomore year. Then I moved off campus and got off the meal plan.

Toaster ovens definitely would not be allowed in a dorm room, btw. Microwaves & refrigerators are pretty much the only food-related things that are okay. No flames, no coils, no hot plates. But if there's a common space or common kitchen, maybe you can cook in there, even with something you plug in.

An alternative, if you have this option, would be to pick the most meager meal plan option so you can go there when you need something quick, but otherwise cook for yourself. Depending on the cost (and if you're paying for it yourself), this might be a good deal so you don't end up spending a lot of money on groceries because you can still get maybe one meal a day at the caf.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Could you tell him you are a vegan? Like hard core vegan- avoid sugar, any animal products?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Here's you a list of Paleo Physicians. You might try contacting one
    Paleo Physicians Network
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Get a doctor to diagnose you with celiac. Either that or the vegan suggestion.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Wow that's a predicament. Do you think you could alter your meal plan? I mean, do they have to accommodate halal or kosher or anything like that? Not that this would necessarily guarantee better food but it might be worth looking to see if it does.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Here's you a list of Paleo Physicians. You might try contacting one
    Paleo Physicians Network
    Definitely this. You are going to find these people much more open to working with you.

I've picked out one in my area, and the next time I need a doctor will be visiting her.

This way, I can still be honest about my diet and not have to worry about an argument with someone that has a superiority complex driven resistance to the idea that I might just know what I'm talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast