Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vegan to paleo to vegan again page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

vegan to paleo to vegan again

I have given it a try, I went from vegan (eating ONLY vegetables, NO grains, only salads, moderate fruite, some nuts/seeds, some oils) yet I gained weight. Then I tried paleo for about a week and had horrible gas and bad digestion, so gave up on that, went back to eating only vegetables and havent lost a single pound. In fact I've gained another! I don't get it, I run 5 times a week (4 miles), I do yoga and weights, I do bikram even sometimes twice a week! What is it about my diet that isnt working? Most people LOSE weight eating ONLY vegetables! My nutritionist that I once worked with once said that you always have to balance carbs (even veggies) with protein- but I dont know. How is it that raw foodists are always thin eating only vegetables?

Someone explain the science and convince me that paleo is the way to go- personal experiences anyone eating exactly like I've been eating?

activia is offline Senior Member
    OK first thing.. you switch diets way too fast. One week is not long enough for your body to adjust and for you to start seeing results. Your body was probably not used to eating meat I gather.. or it could have been eggs?? Your gut needs to build up more bacteria to digest it. This takes time. So its best to slowly increase the amount of foods that you haven't been eating.

Your question is incredibly general. There is no question that humans thrive on animal products, we have for a millenia, and there is compelling evidence that our brains got bigger when we started consuming more meat. They even did bone analysis on our ancestors and found them all to have eaten meat. It's clearly what we have evolved to thrive on. There are also some things like Vit B12 that you can only get from animal products. Animal products contain a lot of good fat and protein without any anti-nutrients that are found in beans. That is really high level.. I suggest reading the primal blueprint
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Oh one more thing, paleo is not just about losing weight... you can lose weight on paleo.. but the most important thing is achieving optimal health by eating a nutrient dense diet full of vitamins and fats that are needed to make you thrive.

You can lose weight on a twinky diet.
    Primal since March 2011

I also highly recommend that you view the success stories on the main site.. go to home page then click on success stories
    Primal since March 2011

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much. I have the book and have read it numerous times. I just happen to love vegetables and for some reason have thought over the past year that eating vegan was the way to go. However, now that I am gaining weight it doesnt seem to be working. I know for a fact I eat about 1200 calories a day! I exercise too, and I know its not just muscle I am gainging so it is confusing to me!

I want to be healthy trust me, thats why I went vegan to begin with and thats why i eat LOADS of vegetables every day. I have been fascinated by both ends of the spectrum, which is why I continually research one view, then switch to paleo, then switch back. its non stop and I can't figure out how to make this all work for me and see results!

You can eat plenty of vegetables when you are doing Paleo
    Primal since March 2011

Meat contains loads of vitamins in a package that you can absorb them well.
    Primal since March 2011

jammies is offline Senior Member
    You need to give your body time to adjust to a new diet. Start by making bone stocks with a little bit of chicken or beef in it and lots of veggies. The enzymes necessary to digest meat may be low since you haven't eaten meat in a long time, so add it in slowly. Also try adding grass-fed butter or coconut oil to your vegetable preparations.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    2 heaping mounds of veggies and a nice steak = very primal!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    lol yes, try it for longer than a week. esp going from vegan to paleo your body might need a second to adjust. give it time

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast