Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of magnesium should I be taking? page

Rynamo is offline Member

What kind of magnesium should I be taking?

Shop Now
    I recently read that taking magnesium supplement is very beneficial. The article recommends magnesium citrate instead of oxide. Whats the difference? I went to GNC looking for Natural calm, they didn't have it but the salesperson told me that oxide and citrate were the same thing. The bottle of oxide is just about gone and I didn't really feel the calming relaxation that I had hoped for. Is there a difference between these 2? I guess I'm asking if I should get the citrate or stick with the oxide.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    chelated magnesium will absorb best. isn't the citrate sort of a mild laxative?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Mag ox id the least bio available for of mag... but and citrate is in second or third place, but not really the best. The citrate also comes with an unfortunate laxative side effect, which seems to be it's main use as it it often bottled as such.

Read this... Magnesium — Health Professional Fact Sheet
    I understand that Mag glycinate chelate is the good stuff, but it costs LOADS more than the more common types.

If you try the Natural Calm and build your tolerance slowly, you may not have a problem with the citrate being too stimulating to your bowels.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    How are epsom salt baths in this regard?

Rynamo is offline Member
    Thanks for the input. The article I referred to ( I can't find a link), was about supplements we should take but don't. After reading the one above I don't think I need to take anything, I probably eat a pound of spinach a week plus at least that much broccoli.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    How are epsom salt baths in this regard?
    Hmm... no idea specifically on absorption... but THIS is my favorite Mag dosing method.
    A nice hot epsom soak!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I use a topical magnesium brine that I like very much. No GI issues since it goes through the skin. I spray some on and rub it in to my skin an hour or so before bed.

Another popular brand in Natural Calm. I have several friends who use it. Once has completely been cured of restless leg syndrome from using it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Chrish2891 is offline Member
    I find magnesium aspartate works well. You can find it in a ZMA supplement. I like Now Foods and Biotests ZMA supplements

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    I use magnesium citrate. There's no reason to shell out for name brand natural calm when it has the same active ingredient.

This is cheap, and works just fine.

NOW Foods Magnesium Citrate 200 mg 250 Tabs - Swanson Health Products

archbox is offline Member
    Magnesium citrate tastes horrible. I have only ever taken a half dose (200 mcg instead of 400 mcg) because I already get about 400 mcg from what I eat. I actually almost started splitting them in half to 100 mcg because it IS possible to take too much magnesium B-) although not as bad as selenium--I've gone to only taking that every other day.
    5'10", 140 lb, 21yo male. Primal for a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast