Thread: What to use for tuna spread/salad? page

Therealdeal is offline Member

What to use for tuna spread/salad?

Primal Fuel
    Sour cream or creme fraiche? Or something else?

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Some people like just a little olive oil or mustard, or I even have a friend who mixes tuna with a few spoonfuls of applesauce (sounds weird, but he says it's great). Personally, I'm a huge mayo fan, so when I eat tuna (seldom because of mercury), I use homemade mayo or occasionally yucky omega store bought kind if in a pinch.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Angie, I love me mayo. And homemade mayo is actually a yummy sauce, unlike the condiment most people buy in supermarkets.

Obviously when making your own mayo (it isn't hard or even time consuming) you get to choose the oils you want to put in. Some people can't stand any olive oil in their mayo, I like a bit, though it only ends up being about 20% of total oil used.

--Me

Therealdeal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    Some people like just a little olive oil or mustard, or I even have a friend who mixes tuna with a few spoonfuls of applesauce (sounds weird, but he says it's great). Personally, I'm a huge mayo fan, so when I eat tuna (seldom because of mercury), I use homemade mayo or occasionally yucky omega store bought kind if in a pinch.
    I can't make my own mayonnaise, it always comes out gross lol

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    My little guy eats tuna salad 4-5 times a week.

I always ask him..."Olive or Coconut?".

When he wants olive oil, I just drizzle that over the tuna with some dill relish.
    When he chooses coconut, I put some coconut oil into a boil and put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to melt it.

I much prefer the taste and texture of the coconut oil in tuna salad, but he usually goes for the olive oil.
    It didn't take long at all to get over industrial oil mayonnaise.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Its always olive oil and mustard for us. Then add generous red onion & fermented pickles. Serve with sliced tomatoes for a real treat. Have put parmesan in it before, but alas, my dairy restrictions don't allow for that these days as much. Also add garlic powder & onion powder (not too much, just a little).

Its best the next day I think when the onions have permeated the whole dish and somehow I like it even better this way.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fan of spicy or dijon mustard...mix it together with some diced pickle and toss it on some greens with a few tomato & avocado slices.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I love to make a homemade mayo (1 egg, 1 tsp acv, 1 c light olive oil, sea salt and pepper) with lemon essential oil, dill, and finely diced cucumber added. It is SO delicious with tuna.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

I think I'm going to make some homemade mayo tonight... I do love it. Adam, what oils do you use? I use light olive oil (not evoo), so it doesn't have that bitter taste, but I know light olive oil doesn't have the best omega ratios. Curious as to what others are using.

@Realdeal -- I had about 3-4 huge mayo fails, but I'm glad I persevered. It's actually easy once you get the hang of it, and sooo yummy! I use a stick/wand blender and drizzle the oil in very slowly at first until it begins emulsifying. Then you can go faster. Trust me, it's easy, takes 5 min., and worth it (but I admit, there is a learning curve).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    NRDC: Mercury Contamination in Fish - Eating Tuna Safely

Also, here's a good guide to tuna consumption. I have a colleague who had serious health issues that took forever to diagnose. What was it? Mercury contamination! She did acupuncture for over a year and lots of other things to get well. Tuna is yummy, but shouldn't be an everyday meal (especially for kids). Mercury toxicity can seriously mess you up.
    Last edited by Angieh; 04-03-2012 at 02:34 PM.