Thread: Wood Pigeon page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Wood Pigeon

... actually a dove and shot between January and March. Grabbing the very last of the season, I made up a simple dish to celebrate the passing of the season for this wonderful tasting bird.

Served simply over wilted spinach, the breasts were gently fried in lots of good Normandy butter, basted again and again and again and left to sit in the butter to rest.

The remaining butter was whisked with a little Islay whisky (not paleo) to make a jus. Not paleo? Well, it's malted, fermented and then distilled ... how many processed does a grain need to go through to negate those antinutrients?

Shaved black truffle over, again right in season, the jus and ...

'Nuff talk ... here's the chow:

The taste? Sublime! Like deep, velvet. The closest flavour I can immediately relate to is venison heart - so deep and sumptuous. The emulsified butter (which is just settling in the picture) was soft and provided a deep background flavour, the spinach punching through with it's strong iron fist and cleansing as we ate.

Gorgeous! Grab it while you can ... the season is practically over!

... and yes, my kitchen walls are aubergine colour. Aubergine, not Zucchini! I mean, who calls a paint colour Zucchini?

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Mmmmmm. Salivation is occurring. That looks delicious and is inspiring me to change up what I had planned for tonight's dinner.

Good on you! And whiskey is always "paleo enough" in my book, the gluten is gone

--Me

jakey is offline Senior Member
    dude, that rocks!!!!!

you know how animals digest grains? they ferment them in one of their additional stomach chambers. so when humans digest grains, we ferment them in vats and call it whiskey. all good

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    ...I made up a simple dish to celebrate the passing of the season for this wonderful tasting bird.
    Mmmm. Respectfully delicious.

Thanks, guys! I can still taste it ... and the best thing is, I have a couple cooked and ready for cold leftovers tomorrow.

Jakey - I'm right with you there. I love single malt Scotch more than I do paleo But then, I think that is the very spirit of paleo. Understanding, and then saying "sod it ... I'm going to have some of that" to something that is truly gorgeous and uplifting.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    they can pry the single malt from my cold, dead neolithic hands....

Evolution ... for the right reasons ...

You know that "Darwin" picture showing outlines of human kind from primitive man to fat modern man? We need two more men beyond ... one, lean and happy again having found paleo, then next, the same guy with a bottle of Laphroaig!

mr Miler is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am going to say, that once a grain is malted, or even sprouted for that matter it is now a grass and no longer a grain. being that it is dove, and not the other bird, it looks and sounds delish.