Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Yoga? page

Tara is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

My membership is almost up at my yoga studio and I'm debating on whether or not I should renew it there or try hot yoga.

Is hot yoga primal? Any insight would be appreciated!

gini is offline Senior Member

I practice hot yoga! I do a form of power vinyasa yoga at Baron Baptiste. I love it. I dislike Bikram yoga, which is the other hot form practiced near me, simply because I find it so boring.

Yoga's pretty primal, so I don't see why hot yoga wouldn't be. I'm a big fan mostly because it helps me with my flexibility.

Tara is offline Senior Member

The hot yoga studio near me is Bikram... maybe I'll try one class and see how I feel about it. I just wasn't sure if it was primal to make yourself exercise in that kind of heat... but I guess Groks living near the equator would have been in that kind of heat all the time!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I'd say try it. I do a beginner dvd once a week for recovery and love it.

gini is offline Senior Member

@Tara - try out Bikram! I have a couple friends who love it, I'm just ornery. Let us know how you like it.

FairyRae2 Guest

I was a hatha yoga teacher before going to my first vinyasa flow class. They keep it pretty warm in there, and I'm a total vinyasa convert. I'd try Bikram as well, but if you haven't tried it, I say go for a vinyasa flow/ashtanga class as well! Just FABULOUS!! And more of a 'workout' than any other kind of yoga I've personally done!

JamieRose is offline Member

I would def. try it out- I wish my gym offered hot yoga! Our room is always freezing and it makes me feel so stiff and miserable. =( I do much better when I've warmed up a bit, so I imagine hot yoga would be like that from the start... ah I'm so jealous!

62shelby Guest

Bikram yoga is an hour and half of heat stress, engaging the sympathetic nervous system, causing a cortisol response. This is the antithesis of yoga, ie which is about the breath and engaging the parasympathetic nervous system. Its a stretch class in a superheated room, there is nothing yoga about Bikram, the only person that benefits from Bikram is Mr Bikram. Your encouraged to drink a lot of water, combined with excessive sweating, diluting the body salts, more stress. Its not even body weight exercise. Hot vinyasa isnt much better, though it depends on how hot the room is.

Its lazy Ashtanga, ie instead of trapping prana or energy in the body via the bandhas or locks, creating enormous heat in the body through primary series or the like, hot vinyasa creates heat outside the body, the focus is less intense. I m not suggesting to do yoga in a cold room, ideally it wouldnt be practiced at less than 70 degrees.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=david+swenson+first+series&se arch_type=&aq=2&oq=david+swen

This is bodyweight, endurance, strength and range of motion.

Baron Baptiste is great, and the Kest brothers are also great for strength and endurance.

FairyRae2 Guest

[quote]

I m not suggesting to do yoga in a cold room, ideally it wouldnt be practiced at less than 70 degrees.</blockquote>

My vinyasa studio keeps the heat right around 70 or a little warmer, which is certainly warm enough for me! I think this is fairly typical from the studios I&#39;ve gone to that hold vinyasa classes. How hot is Bikram yoga? I don&#39;t think I&#39;d want it much hotter than 73-75...

Brian Kest&#39;s video is a favorite of mibe, and I use it when I&#39;m not going to classes. I also have David Swenson&#39;s first series dvd--but I prefer to do the first series on my own (I like practicing w/out a dvd often). Awesome awesome stuff on there--just in the intro alone!

62shelby Guest

70F is a great temp for vinyasa, I find it allows my body to open up gradually, and still work up a sweat if I feel like it comfortably.

FairyRae, the temp for Bikram is 40C or 104F, it is intense thats an hour and a half. I did it for about six months, and would go into the room and lie down for about 10 mins to adjust to the temp. Its very tempting to do when its freezing outside, when you feel chilled to the bone, but its not worth it. There are really unfit looking people going to those classes, and youre not allowed to leave the room unless you are going to throw up, seriously, if you lie down, you have to stop all together and stay there for the duration.

Yeah I like Brians dvd, and he has some cool stuff to download on his website. David is awesome and I agree the intro has some great info. I did a five day workshop with him at Kripalu a couple of years ago, he is such a cool dude, an incredible physical specimen for mid fifties, the body of an 18 year old surfer, incredible posture, strength and flexibility. He is very funny too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast