Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize...? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize...?

Primal Fuel
    More useless health advice. I don't recall where, but I recently read an article that said the key to good health was to not eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. I think their point was to eliminate processed, packaged, and junk food. But the grandmother analogy really doesn't work and many people reading the article may not get the real point. I'm quite sure my grandmother (and even great-grandma) recognized breads, pasta, pastries, fried chicken, corn dogs, potato chips, and ice cream. In fact, Grandma probably even baked many of the cakes, pies, and cookies I ate as a young child. So to say don't eat what Grandma wouldn't have eaten and you'll be healthy doesn't seem very helpful. It won't help many less-educated readers eliminate the real problem foods.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Grandma was much more active than today's average American. Plus she didn't eat soya or PUFA in quantity.

She wasn't wrapped up in cotton wool.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    My grandmother would not have allowed me to eat fast food every day or have cakes and cookies all the time like people do now. And should would have disapproved of drinking soda with every meal, too. My grandmother knew how to prepare hunted meat and bake biscuits in an earthen oven. Everything she made had butter and cream in it. My great-grandmother would have eaten herring and potato lefse (mmm yummy I bet it can be primalized). She definitely wouldn't have recognized most of what's now in a grocery store as food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    My grandmother would not have allowed me to eat fast food every day or have cakes and cookies all the time like people do now. And should would have disapproved of drinking soda with every meal, too. My grandmother knew how to prepare hunted meat and bake biscuits in an earthen oven. Everything she made had butter and cream in it. My great-grandmother would have eaten herring and potato lefse (mmm yummy I bet it can be primalized). She definitely wouldn't have recognized most of what's now in a grocery store as food.
    What's potato lefse? Is it a potato salad?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Potato Lefse is a thin flatbread, think tortilla, with the dough made from potato, cream or lard, and flour...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Also depends on what generation's grandmother, and the assumption that it was what she ate when she was growing up. Obviously the rule won't apply well in 10-30 years, and doesn't work very well now either.

The older you are the better the "rule" applies; your grandmother probably wouldn't have had much exposure to fast or processed foods, etc.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My grandmother tried to make sure that:
    I put sugar in my tea before going to school: "So your brain works"
    I dressed and over-dressed: "You say you are warm now... you'll have sniffles later"
    Didn't approve of my swimming: "Your shoulders will grow too wide"
    But approved on my heavy (already) thighs: "That's pretty for any man"
    I ate my fill and more and didn't miss bread: "Or you will drop dead tired"

My grandmother grew up in a poor family with 8 other children, and starved during the war. She learned all those "rules" during 1930's and 1940's. Sure, she clarified butter, added sour cream and butter into her cooking generously, but she also did not skimp on sugar, bread and pasta, and one serving of her hearty festive foods would probably destroy my digestion for two days now..... She sure worked hard, but she ate when the food was available to compensate for the calories she used up and was tall stocky, large woman. I loved her, but i won't eat like her.
    Last edited by Leida; 04-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Potato Lefse is a thin flatbread, think tortilla, with the dough made from potato, cream or lard, and flour...
    Ooh that sounds yummy.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Michael Pollan pushes this one.
    I found him before primal and he turned me on to grass fed beef, and cleaner food.

The problem with his paradigm is that he's just not going back far enough in time to get to the roots of what we should be eating.
    Grandma still ate grains.

Now if he said eat what your great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great .....grandmother ate..that might be more appropriate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My Grandma died at 100 last year. Everyone joked about how she would cut off large chunks of butter and just eat it. She drank loads of tea - always with cream (and, full disclosure, a little sugar). For hours and hours, whenever the weather would allow, she'd sit outside on her patio reading. Got lots of sun when she was younger, too. Maybe too much - had a bout or two of skin cancer, but thankfully, nothing serious. While she fought us - literally - to keep her license until she was like 92, she always preferred to walk.

Looking back, she got an awful lot of things right.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast