Thread: Ravioli dough substitute? page

lamoka is offline Senior Member

Ravioli dough substitute?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have a dough recipe that would work for homemade ravioli OR would I be better off using white flour as opposed to wheat flour if I didn't have any choices? My guy wants the traditional italian easter of ham and ravioli.. sure would like to make it as primal as possible So I could eat too!!!lol
    Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
    My journal...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    i doubt anyone will, sorry

So no one even has input as to the type of flour would be better to use.. wheat or white.. I am wondering if the white would be the lesser of the two evils.. like white rice in comparison to whole grain or brown..
    My journal...

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    If you look at a bag of wheat flour it should tell you the percentage of protein, which tells you how high gluten it is. Pastry or cake flour is the lowest gluten, but might make a weak dough that wouldn't work for raviolli. All purpose flour is lower gluten than bread flour. You might also want to look for unbleached, unbromated flour, which is not processed with so many harmful chemicals. King Arthur makes unbleached unbromated all purpose flour.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    If you look at a bag of wheat flour it should tell you the percentage of protein, which tells you how high gluten it is. Pastry or cake flour is the lowest gluten, but might make a weak dough that wouldn't work for raviolli. All purpose flour is lower gluten than bread flour. You might also want to look for unbleached, unbromated flour, which is not processed with so many harmful chemicals. King Arthur makes unbleached unbromated all purpose flour.
    Thats ^^^^ what I'm talking about! I suck at the "technical" understanding of things and this was what I truly needed!! I can cook well, but don't like too lol...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE BREAKDOWN OF INFO! My guy wants homemade ravioli, he gets homemade ravioli.. at least I can now make some with the least amount of "damage".. ((hugs)) So that big bag of unopened wheat flour is for the birds now.. ha!
    My journal...