Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help - kefir and advice, where to get, etc??? page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

Need help - kefir and advice, where to get, etc???

Shop Now
    So I need kefir help! I would like to make some, and have absolutely no idea where to get a good starter.

Second problem: what books are good resources (gaps? nourishing traditions?)

Question: raw or regular milk? Cow or goat?

Setup items? Anything special needed?

Any resources to suggest?

Thanks so much for the time!!!!!

Should mention that I have had dairy issues in the past. However, lately I have been trying to work through them, starting with eating some yoghurt with every meal. Seems to be fine right now, but that could change. Am taking some digestive enzymes with the dairy currently & with every meal. Garden of Life RAW enzymes.

Did a dairy elimination for a month after starting primal, then couldn't add back into diet without pain. So I was off dairy for about 12 months, and have recently (with the suggestion of my gi doc) started adding in yoghurt again. Would like to try kefir instead for health.

Ordered water kefir starter grains. Anyone familiar with these? I have read that some use juice as well as water for flavorful drinks, but I don't have that recipie and dont' want to screw anything up.

PMAC is offline Member
    I make kefir with whole cows milk [grassfed nonhomogenized low heat pasteurized]. I make about 12 oz a day. I drink the previous days batch. Very easy and so good.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMAC View Post
    I make kefir with whole cows milk [grassfed nonhomogenized low heat pasteurized]. I make about 12 oz a day. I drink the previous days batch. Very easy and so good.
    You left out the part where you explain the process so that the OP can benefit from your comment. Therefore I have to give it a 3 out of 10.

I think with my water kefir grains I can't make the dairy kefir, although I could get some dairy kefir.

I decided on water kefir grains as I am still not sure that dairy agrees with my system, or not. I am in a huge allergy attack now that I started eating dairy again, and I am not sure if it is related or not. Am quitting dairy until it resolves, then will try and add back in the dairy and see if it is provoked.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    Kefir is a fermented probiotic beverage native to Central Asia, much like kumiss
    I wrote a book "Super Formulas, Arts & Crafts: How to make more than 360 useful products that contain honey and beeswax" and Kumiss is on page 21 (copyright Elaine C. White)
    --------------------

Kumiss

Kumiss is a refreshing, nutritious dairy drink. Because kumiss is slightly carbonated, it has been called the "Russian champagne of dairy products." This formula produces a rich, creamy drink with bubbly effervescence.

1 gallon skim milk
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/8 teaspoon champagne yeast

Step 1: Heat the milk to 180 degrees F. Add the honey, mix well and cool to 70 degrees F.
    Step 2 Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (115 degrees F for 3 minutes) and stir it into the milk.
    Step 3: Cover the mixture with a clean cloth and allow it to stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
    Step 4: Bottle kumiss in sanitized beer, soft drink, or champagne bottles that withstand carbonation pressure. Plastic soda bottles up to the 2-liter size can be reused for kumiss if the caps fit tightly.
    Step 5: Store the bottled kumiss at room temperature for 24 hours, then place it in a refrigerator. Shake the bottles every few days, but not just before opening them.

Kumiss will keep for 6 to 8 weeks and becomes increasingly acid. If the degree of acidity is objectionable, it can be masked by adding honey.
    --------------------
    PS For those who haven't tasted kumiss, it's like carbonated buttermilk. I'm wondering if buttermilk isn't a great substitute.

Also, don't make this with bread yeast as it imparts a bitter, nasty taste. Get champagne yeast from most winemaking suppliers.
    Last edited by Chatty; 04-04-2012 at 02:28 PM.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    My kefir grains (dairy) arrived today - I'm excited....and keen to see if someone can post some hints/tips and a recipe or where to find a good one?

fiercehunter is offline Banned

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Thanks very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast