Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Triglycerides 419 page

guydavis is offline Junior Member

Triglycerides 419

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I haven't been following Primal but would like to get started. My blood work just came back and I have a 419 value for Triglycerides which is very concerning for my wife and I.

I'm 51, 200 pounds, 5'10". I believe that I could change the blood work dramatically but my wife is stuck on the fat is what is causing my blood to be fat and she will likely not change her mind even if he show her some of the studies on this site.

However I believe my Doctor might... is there a particular article or articles by Mark or others that I could share to convince him.

They are likely going to put me on Statins next week and I'm not sure if that is the immediate thing I need to do.

My wife wants me to stop the red meat, butter, bacon (which I eat along with ... gluten, sugar, etc.) but I honestly believe those things aren't the problem based on the time I've spent surfing this site.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy Davis

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Toughest thing to do is just start. So with your next meal.....just start. Don't wait on everyone else to give you their blessings before you begin. The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Giving up the gluten, sugar, and other processed foods and grains will help more. And remember that they can't *make* you go on statins. Give it a try for a few weeks and just see how you feel.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Just start eating more fresh veggies~ who can argue with that? Skip the grain based items, french fries and anything made in a fast food place, and that includes Subway. Doesn't matter how 'fresh' they advertise their food is, it's still processed way beyond real. And no sugar~ if it comes in a box, it has sugar. No matter what it is, read the labels!

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    * usual preface...not a doctor or expert of any kind, just sharing what I've read & experienced

High triglycerides are almost always an indication of excess carbohydrate in the diet.
    My trigs were 355, and I was told by my doctor to cut out all saturated fat.

While I was never a vegetarian, I wasn't eating a ton of fat either and wondered why my trigs should be so high.
    I did however eat a ton of sugar and carbs on a daily basis and decided to research if that could be the cause, even though two doctors told me that sugar had nothing to do with it.

After just a few weeks of low carb, primal eating, my triglycerides dropped from 355 to 115.
    I'll be getting my 1 year later checkup in July and I'm sure they've improved from there.

You will be amazed at what you can do in a short period of time.

Recommended reading: Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes & The Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs Michael & Mary Dan Eades
    Both books have a ton of triglyceride specific info.

P.S. You might also want to look into therapeutic doses of fish oil. Something in the range of 4g combined DHA+EPA, not total grams of oil. Do some reading. The answers are out there and easy to find. No need to limit fat intake, especially where trigs are concerned.
    Last edited by NWPrimate; 04-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Laura B is offline Member
    ^^this^^ I watch my carb and sugar counts, and my triglycerides were 37 from my blood work in January.

PS. and I eat plenty of fat.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    You can always negotiate a couple of weeks on a new diet before meds. It must be scary for your wife, but make her sit down and surf this site. If you believe this is the way to go, she should let you give it a try. And I agree: just get started with veggies and eggs and grassfed meat or fish. Salmon with veggies and olive oil shouldn't scare your wife too much.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    You can always negotiate a couple of weeks on a new diet before meds. It must be scary for your wife, but make her sit down and surf this site. If you believe this is the way to go, she should let you give it a try. And I agree: just get started with veggies and eggs and grassfed meat or fish. Salmon with veggies and olive oil shouldn't scare your wife too much.
    I'm reading this and the thought occurs to me, if I needed my hubby's 'permission' to follow a WOE, there would be trouble! Do your research, show her the research and then take control of your body. You are the one that has to live with the results, so you are the one that makes the decision on what to eat.

You're my Dad 10 years ago! He jumped on the statins and hasn't been off since. I'm confident he'll never put enough stock into all the wonderful information I've begun to provide him with, to ever get off them. It's a shame and I really wish I'd have known what I know now a decade ago. While he's very healthy on the surface, I know for a fact he's still dealing with issues (no surprise) and just not telling my sister and I about them...

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    * usual preface...not a doctor or expert of any kind, just sharing what I've read & experienced

High triglycerides are almost always an indication of excess carbohydrate in the diet.
    My trigs were 355, and I was told by my doctor to cut out all saturated fat.

While I was never a vegetarian, I wasn't eating a ton of fat either and wondered why my trigs should be so high.
    I did however eat a ton of sugar and carbs on a daily basis and decided to research if that could be the cause, even though two doctors told me that sugar had nothing to do with it.

After just a few weeks of low carb, primal eating, my triglycerides dropped from 355 to 115.
    I'll be getting my 1 year later checkup in July and I'm sure they've improved from there.

You will be amazed at what you can do in a short period of time.

Recommended reading: Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes & The Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs Michael & Mary Dan Eades
    Both books have a ton of triglyceride specific info.

P.S. You might also want to look into therapeutic doses of fish oil. Something in the range of 4g combined DHA+EPA, not total grams of oil. Do some reading. The answers are out there and easy to find. No need to limit fat intake, especially where trigs are concerned.
    Good comment and congrats on your own results!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast