Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A HEALTHY grain???? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

A HEALTHY grain????

Just got this in an email and wondered what others thought.
    Personally, I aint risking it!!

Spelt grain was a fundamental part of people’s diets in Europe from the Bronze Age until Medieval times. The archaeological record shows evidence for the grain being cultivated over 9,000 years ago and it is thought to have been the first grain used to make bread. Its importance is even recorded in the bible! The Roman army are thought to have referred to this as their “marching grain”.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I tried spelt years ago and it made me bloat worse than wheat does!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Spelt still has gluten and is decidedly not okay for anyone with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jakey is offline Senior Member
    how is this different than wheat? wheat has been a fundamantel part of people's diets in Europe throughout the same time period. modern archaeologic record shows evidence of wheat cultivation for over 10,000 years. it's all over the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    how is this different than wheat? wheat has been a fundamantel part of people's diets in Europe throughout the same time period. modern archaeologic record shows evidence of wheat cultivation for over 10,000 years. it's all over the bible.
    It's an ancient single species. Modern wheat is a hybrid of 3 species (i.e. it has 3 sets of chromosomes) - it was genetically engineered to yield larger grains with a higher starch content. Hence, the higher anti-nutrient content of whole spelt as the husk constitutes a higher proportion of the grain.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    It's an ancient single species. Modern wheat is a hybrid of 3 species (i.e. it has 3 sets of chromosomes) - it was genetically engineered to yield larger grains with a higher starch content. Hence, the higher anti-nutrient content of whole spelt as the husk constitutes a higher proportion of the grain.
    Interesting stuff, on breaking down wheat composition.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Interesting stuff, on breaking down wheat composition.
    Yes, wheat's a freak for sure. The original frankenfood.

As for white spelt flour, I've heard that's better tolerated than white wheat flour by those who are gluten intolerant. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it, as there are much more 'primal' alternatives available for those who want to use white flour.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-03-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    If you buy in to spelt before you know it you're at the co-op with spelt bread in your basket and you will will want to have some ghee or good salty butter to go with it.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Yes, wheat's a freak for sure. The original frankenfood.

As for white spelt flour, I've heard that's better tolerated than white wheat flour by those who are gluten intolerant. I wouldn't recommend anyone try it, as there are much more 'primal' alternatives available for those who want to use white flour.
    Right on: something to keep in mind, thanks again.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    Its importance is even recorded in the bible!
    That right there would make me turn the other direction regardless of what it was.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast