Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALternative to Coconut Oil for High Heat Cooking page

22599 is offline Junior Member

ALternative to Coconut Oil for High Heat Cooking

Shop Now
    I love my olive oil, use it on everything, including frying fish and other high heat uses. I find the taste outweighs the slight burning I may get if the oil gets too hot. However, i recently read that heating olive oil up to high temperatures breaks down its molecular composition and I now worry it may make it "unhealthy" or less healthy than I otherwise presumed. I have tried coconut oil and I just cannot get myself to like the taste (and after-taste) of such oil. Are there any other oils that heat up well in high heat and are still primally healthy? I like avocado oil but think it has similar properties as olive oil.

Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Butter and/or Ghee works great as does any animal fat you have left over to cook in. I use animal fat whenever possible...

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Lard, tallow, and palm oil. Also the expeller pressed coconut oil doesn't have the strong coconut flavor like the extra virgin kind.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Palm oil.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22599 View Post
    I love my olive oil, use it on everything, including frying fish and other high heat uses. I find the taste outweighs the slight burning I may get if the oil gets too hot. However, i recently read that heating olive oil up to high temperatures breaks down its molecular composition and I now worry it may make it "unhealthy" or less healthy than I otherwise presumed. I have tried coconut oil and I just cannot get myself to like the taste (and after-taste) of such oil. Are there any other oils that heat up well in high heat and are still primally healthy? I like avocado oil but think it has similar properties as olive oil.

Thanks!
    There is a lot of hate around here against olive oil. People think that just because it's low in saturated fat, it can't be heated. This hatred and misinformation needs to stop. The fact is, extra virgin olive oil is loaded with antioxidants and is resilient in the presence of heat. No, it's not a fantastic deep frying oil, but neither is coconut oil. Olive oil's smoke point is higher than CO's as well. If you don't believe me, read Mark's take on olive oil:

Defending Olive Oil’s Reputation | Mark's Daily Apple

The olive oils made it 24-27 hours of constant high heating before reaching the maximum legal value of heat damage...Despite being heated at 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) for 36 hours, two varieties of extra virgin olive oil exhibited strong resistance to oxidative damage and retained most of their “minor [phenolic] compounds.”
    If olive oil can maintain that level of extreme abuse, it is absolutely 100% fine for normal use. Sauteing chicken for 15 minutes in a frying pan isn't going to hurt it

That being said, my favorite frying fat is without a doubt grassfed ghee. Ghee has an amazing, nutty flavor that goes with everything from chocolate cake to lamb, it's one of the most heat stable fats in existence and its smoke point is much higher than most fats. If I'm not using ghee (or grassfed butter for lower temperature sauteing), I'm probably using extra virgin olive oil. Coconut oil is fat #3 in my kitchen.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    My coconut oil - bought in bulk at the health food shop - has no taste at all.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    My coconut oil - bought in bulk at the health food shop - has no taste at all.
    I have both types... the standard refined "no taste" CO, and "extra virgin" CO that tastes a bit coconutty. I really prefer the "extra virgin" and just use lard(sometimes tallow) or ghee for stuff that I don't want to taste of coconut. I won't be buying any more of the refined CO.

The "extra virgin" CO on sliced baked sweet potatoes is a divine treat!

I also use GOOD extra virgin olive oil where I want the flavor of that. Good stuff.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you add a little coconut oil (or ghee/butter) with the olive oil, it protects it and you can use it for high heat cooking.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

serah is offline Junior Member
    Though I can tolerate the taste of EV coconut oil, I absolutely cannot stand the smell of it when it's cooking. Ugh.

Butter, ghee or olive oil make the cut for me. If I'm sauteeing, I'll still use a decent broth too.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    If you add a little coconut oil (or ghee/butter) with the olive oil, it protects it and you can use it for high heat cooking.
    i've heard of adding olive oil to butter to raise the smoke point, but how on earth would a bit of coconut oil or butter 'protect' the olive oil? from oxidative damage? are you makin' this up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast