Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question for Primal Parents About Schooling page 2

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My kids go to a public environmental elementary school where they learn outdoors about 80% of the time. It is place based and inquiry based so the kids have a lot of say in what they learn about. Its very much like the Forest Kindergarten mentioned above It's sort of Steiner/Waldorf but not really. It's very Grok...lots of moving around slowly and lifting heavy things. Plenty of sunlight. They've learned different ways to make fire and trap small game. I mentioned in anOther thread that they have an interactive hot lunch program where the kids cooking the food once a month. It's not primal but it's gluten free and clean, locally sourced natural ingredients. We ate salmon that the teachers and kids caught!
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    our kindy has "pine woods friday" which means they spend every friday (barring storms, etc) out of doors as well, and at least 1/2 of their time in the school is out of doors as well, which is great.

there was an unschooling 'school' near where we used to live -- on a working farm, and kids had 'guides' (adults) who would help them out wiht various subjects (person's choosing), otherwise they were free to roam the farm, which included a wooded area, or stay in the house and read, or what have you. pretty cool option for people who wanted to school, but wanted it to be an unschooling-styled experience.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Anything like that in the US?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Many of my Primal clients "unschool". Google it!

Yeah, unschooling is a solid option. I will likely head in that direction myself at the midschool age.

I have two daughters, one in Kindergarten, the other in 2nd grade. I'm CONSTANTLY battling with staff and parents about feeding my children junk food. The public school system here feels that it is necessary to keep children on a CONSTANT sugar high. It drives me mad. I explain that I feed my kids, that they have no need to have a sugar-based snack every hour. Yet, they still do it. I am unable to be at school all day, so the battle continues.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigigaw View Post
    Yeah, unschooling is a solid option. I will likely head in that direction myself at the midschool age.

I have two daughters, one in Kindergarten, the other in 2nd grade. I'm CONSTANTLY battling with staff and parents about feeding my children junk food. The public school system here feels that it is necessary to keep children on a CONSTANT sugar high. It drives me mad. I explain that I feed my kids, that they have no need to have a sugar-based snack every hour. Yet, they still do it. I am unable to be at school all day, so the battle continues.
    That's a bummer, I'm planning to unshool my boys, to avoid stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    That's a bummer, I'm planning to unshool my boys, to avoid stuff like that.
    Not an option here Someone has to pay the bills
    Primal since March 2011

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I second the Gatto book Dumbing Us Down. If I could start over again I would unschool from the beginning. Even the few years that our son went to alternative schools I believe had a negative effect on his education. Schooling teaches passivity and self doubt. When you watch a toddler explore his world you see that they are curious and engaged, never doubting themselves or thinking that their natural instincts are "wrong". Then those beautiful beings enter an institution designed to sort and categorize them and they learn that they don't measure up. They learn to conform or risk being singled out either by the teachers or by their peers.

Activia: your situation may change. At 28 I didn't think staying at home would be an option and I hadn't even heard of unschooling. We had our son when I was 38 and now here we are unschooling and surviving on one income, ironically my husband is a high school art teacher. So you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Activia: your situation may change. At 28 I didn't think staying at home would be an option and I hadn't even heard of unschooling. We had our son when I was 38 and now here we are unschooling and surviving on one income, ironically my husband is a high school art teacher. So you never know.
    Our plan is to have kids in 18 months. I currently am the PRIMARY wage earner in the household. I pay the mortgage/heat/food. My husband pays the utilities and his student loan debt. I dont see that it would ever be possible to live on his income just with his debt.. even if we were able to sell our house and find a REALLY cheap place to live, which would be difficult to find.. and then we'd probably have to live off rice...and freeze, no TV/no internet..no nothing.

As for him staying home, he is NOT a good teacher.
    Primal since March 2011

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't sound like unschooling would work for you at this time, but a lot of families are questioning the regular school system and are coming up with creative solutions. By the time your kids are ready for school there may be cool options that we haven't even thought of yet!

gfwithsteph is offline Junior Member
    The schooling system is awful in the states. Especially the public schools. I like the idea of the Forest School. I would like to teach there. Or maybe at a Steiner/Waldorf school. Are those only in Australia and New Zealand? I'm open to moving ANYWHERE since I feel like Southern California is not the right place for me to be. I was looking into the suburbs of Denver or somewhere in Colorado. I just want to find a good place that fits my primal lifestyle and I know Los Angeles isn't it. My requirement is having a school in that place that aligns with some primal concepts. I would also like to teach at that school since I'm a certified teacher in both elementary and special education.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast