Thread: Alphamango's Journal: Road to Buffdom! page

alphamango is offline Junior Member

Alphamango's Journal: Road to Buffdom!

Primal Fuel
    Hiya!
    I'm a 38 year old female at a towering 5'4"
    I grew up as a fairly active though 'chunky' kid who loved the outdoors and turned into a very competitive and active 20&30-something. I would partake in endurance and adventure races and spent a huge chunk of my time training. An average week would see me logging over 80km in trail running, 6 hours in the gym, the usual chronic cardio story LOL! complete with numerous injuries and health problems.
    Along with CW training, I religiously followed the CW diet. I struggled with maintaining my energy levels with the usual carb crutches and eating every 2-3 hours.
    I would try to lean out my body but to no avail. Silly vanity. I wanted my body to reflect all the hard work I was putting into it.
    Then crap happened that I won't get into. I eventually got out for crapdom and I found myself with 20lbs of added flab and decreased muscle mass.

I managed to lose the first 10 lbs through sweat and tears in 2011 but then I stalled and no amount of dieting or exercise would help. I also suffered from crazy energy swings and crashes, worse than I ever had before. I started questioning everything I had learned over the years about diet and exercise. My body was proving to me what I already instinctively knew, SAD and chronic cardio were destroying my health.

A relative suggested that I read the 4 Hour Body's Slow Carb Diet (SCD).I started SCD in December 2011 right before the holidays. At first it seemed like I was setting myself for failure by trying to lose weight over the holidays but the SCD really helped me stay focused and for once I actually lost weight over the holidays!

Through the SCD, I also realized that I was highly reactive to gluten. Blood tests later confirmed that this was not a figment of my imagination. I also was able to stabilize my energy levels and my skin and hair condition went from blah to fabulous (Do I sound like freaking infomercial??)

I started the SCD with my belly looking like this (~27%BF):
    belly.jpg
    Not horrible but not great.
    I was on SCD for about 12 weeks and this is what the belly looks like now:
    kettlebell abs.jpg

My digital fat caliper reads 15%BF. I think it's being flattering. I'm probably around the 17-19% range.
    Regardless, I'm down about 10% from where I started.
    I am currently 130lbs.
    This is where I was at the peak of my competition days. It's amazing!

Now that I've reached my BF% goal, I'm moving over to more primal-like eating style. It's an easy transition from SCD. Anyways, I'd rather have berries than beans! LOL!

My next goal is to get STRONGER! In my 20's I was able to squat and deadlift my own bodyweight. I was able to bench 100lbs. I want to be able to do that again and MORE!

I'm done being a competitive athlete. I enjoyed parts of it but not the journey of it. I want to go back to my initial love for the outdoors and things like hiking and skiing. I might still do the odd race or event for the hell of it but it's not a priority to place in a top ranking.

As I come into the end of my 30s and look forward to my 40s I have come to realized that I have yet to reach my peak. Seeing what awesome women of that age and better on this site inspiration!

That's it for now. I have to go play with my dogs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alphamango; 04-02-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Holy huge images! Sorry!
    “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” — Seneca

I just did a 3 minute plank. Yahoo!
    Those last 15 seconds were hell.
    That's it for my 'workout' today LOL!
    “It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” — Seneca

Ealachan is offline Member
    Hey, hoar!

(watch me get mod-spanked for saying that)
    --
    Half-assed Primal on and off for a couple years. Started back in earnest in January 2012.
    Leptin Reset started 2/29/12
    5'11" - Female - 32 Y/O
    HW: 410+ SW: 375 CW: 340-ish
    goals acheived thus far: Have ditched high-blood pressure medicine, was able to comfortably fit into a plane seat for my vacation in August 2012.

LOL! Bewb Squishes all around!

Dinner last night was what I call "The Bowl" which consists of pile of sauteed veggies, ground muskox, fried egg, couple handfuls of raw spinach and 1/2 avocado all mixed up together. Looked like a mess. Tasted awesome.

Breakfast was a huge piece of shrimp, spinach frittata and a scoop of homemade meat sauce and Fat Coffee.
    I am planning to hit the gym to lift heavy stuff today. Just not sure when.

Yesterday's workout was:
    10 myo crunches, 10 cat vomits
    Lat Pulldowns 9 x 80lbs (5/5 cadence)
    Barbell Press 7 x 50lbs (5/5)
    10 pushups
    stretch and balance

Ealachan is offline Member
    cat vomits? Do I even want to know?
    --
    Half-assed Primal on and off for a couple years. Started back in earnest in January 2012.
    Leptin Reset started 2/29/12
    5'11" - Female - 32 Y/O
    HW: 410+ SW: 375 CW: 340-ish
    goals acheived thus far: Have ditched high-blood pressure medicine, was able to comfortably fit into a plane seat for my vacation in August 2012.

You know what a cat does to hork up a hairball? That's about it.
    Linky to a video

So far I'm sticking to my 2 short workouts a week plan. There's still a part of me that thinks I'm eating too much and exercising too little and there's no way I'm going to build any muscle, I'm just gonna regain all that fat blah blah blah
    I've started working on doing chin-ups. Right now I'm doing assisted chin-ups on a bar across the Smith Machine and my feet on a bench. 2 sets of 6 so far.
    I managed to navigate through Easter weekend without stuffing my face too badly. I forced myself to stay away from all Easter candy and chocolate. I've come to realize that I am totally binary when it comes to such things. There's no 'moderation' for me when it comes to crap candy.
    I did a have handful of fig-coconut-cocoa balls and a few big squares of 85% chocolate but I was good after that.
    Also had a bit more drinky-drink over the weekend than I normally would. Oh well.
    I spent tons of time outside hunting and skiing and got a good dose of vitamin D. Lots of play time with the pups.
    All in all, a fabulous long weekend.

Lift Heavy Crap first thing this morning. Did it fasted and I still managed to up my Squats and Bench up by 10 lbs each . Woohoo!
    Going to go skijoring tonight with the mutts.
    Eating all things carbs today. Quinoa, rice, yogurt, berries, apple, sweet potato.