Thread: Fats and carbs together? page

Therealdeal is offline Member

Fats and carbs together?

Primal Fuel
    I always thought you should combine them because I thought the fat would slow down the insulin release. But now I read that you shouldn't combine fats and carbs? Why not?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    where'd you read that? i don't think there's anything magical either way. that being said, as i don't snack and stick to meals, my diet generally consist of protein, carbs and fat all mixed together.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I think that carbs and fat in the absence of protein is bad thing. Insulin does many things including moving protein to where it's needed. An insulin spike without protein has more resources to store fat in fat cells.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I used to think it would be disastrous to combine fat and carbs, but I'm starting to think it only matters in certain situations. If you're just eating a moderate calorie diet, I don't think it's bad. If you're doing something like Leangains where you eat 150+g carbs in a sitting, it's bad for two reasons. One, you blunt the insulin spike which is beneficial post-training. Two, you can easily go overboard on total calories. But yeah, I'm not as phobic about eating a buttered sweet potato as I used to be.

Therealdeal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I used to think it would be disastrous to combine fat and carbs, but I'm starting to think it only matters in certain situations. If you're just eating a moderate calorie diet, I don't think it's bad. If you're doing something like Leangains where you eat 150+g carbs in a sitting, it's bad for two reasons. One, you blunt the insulin spike which is beneficial post-training. Two, you can easily go overboard on total calories. But yeah, I'm not as phobic about eating a buttered sweet potato as I used to be.
    I'm actually talking about a banana + 10 macadamia nuts

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealdeal View Post
    I'm actually talking about a banana + 10 macadamia nuts
    no problem whatsoever in that case. that's my breakfast on many a morning.