Thread: yogurt, kefir and carbs page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

yogurt, kefir and carbs

Primal Fuel
    Im on a ketogenic/paleo diet and stomach issues seemed to have been resolved by drinking matosni and kefir every day. However, Ive just discovered how high in carbs they are!!
    Seems odd, as cream and cheese are very low. Still - thats how it is.
    But - if I make them with a pot of cream added, can I safely assume that this will reduce the carbs a bit?
    Id hate to have to give them up!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the carbs listed on the bottle reflect the sugars present before fermentation. once it's fermented, the bacteria are actively consuming those sugars. i wouldn't sweat the carbs. then again, my goal is not to stay in ketosis, but even if it was... i wouldn't sweat the carbs lsited on fermented foods.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    the carbs listed on the bottle reflect the sugars present before fermentation. once it's fermented, the bacteria are actively consuming those sugars. i wouldn't sweat the carbs. then again, my goal is not to stay in ketosis, but even if it was... i wouldn't sweat the carbs lsited on fermented foods.
    Is that right Jakey? I dont buy it ready made - I make my own. Ive googled it to get the data. Why dont they say what its carbs are when its in the state you consume it in? How daft!
    Out of interest, what do you think the carbs would be in a pint of kefir? (from full fat cows milk)
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    really, i don't know. i don't really count carbs or follow a keto diet. but you could start with whatever the carbs are in a pint of hte milk you're using, and know that you're getting less than that.