Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple bits of flawed logic in the book? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I'm still making my way through the book and I'm already on the diet, and loving it. But I have to ask about a few points that seem like flawed logic.

In the section on legumes, Mark says that it should be a bad sign that beans need to be soaked, cooked, or fermented. Yet, meats have to be cooked before we eat them. Not to mention, he says nuts & seeds are OK, but many people need to soak certain nuts to make them more easily digestible.

Is it just me, or does the argument against legumes seem pretty weak?

Agatsu is offline Member

Meats don't have to be cooked. We just choose to.

My understanding is that even pork and chicken from clean sources can be eaten raw.

Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I'm not a fan of nuts at all. Most likely our ancestors were not munching down on mounds and mounds of nuts but could only scrounge up a little handful every once in a while. Either way, far too much omega 6.

I think that there is a far better argument against legumes and that is they have LOTS of carbs. Meat doesn't have to be cooked but most people prefer to. Legumes HAVE to be cooked and nobody in the paleolithic era was eating them.

I still can't give up chickpeas though. Half a cup along with a salad and some sardines is all I'll eat.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Pankratos Guest

I think the main difference is that for the most part meat and nuts can be eaten raw, while legumes usually cannot. As with anything there are exceptions, some nuts can benefit from soaking, and some legumes dont necessarily need any treatment.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

You've never enjoyed steak bleu (seared on the outside, raw in the middle), carpaccio, steak tartare, oysters on the half shell or sushi? Many cultures have dishes based on raw meat well beyond what I've listed here.

Cooking generally improves the taste of meat and the texture. Tough meats can be made tender by cooking. Chicken is downright disgusting in texture if not cooked through. Cooking allows us to impart extra flavors in the meat (like stuffing a turkey or marinating a pork chop). But it doesn't really increase the nutritive value of the meat.

Cooking also kills any living organisms of course. But the dangerous bacteria aren't inherent in meat. They are introduced during handling and storage. If an animal has been cleanly slaughtered and butchered there's no reason you can't just chow down. There is one particularly gruesome episode of No Reservations where Anthony chows down on whole raw seal with an Inuit family.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

@Agatsu:

I'm curious about raw chicken from a clean source. I personally would never try it but I read recently (on the MayoClinc site, I think) that your chances of getting Salmonella from raw eggs is lessened if the eggs come from pastured chickens.

primal pete is offline Senior Member

raw seal party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGVdYiM5IXw

wow...they really do manage to eat or save every part of that animal.

Prowler Guest

Man, you must be new to the paleo/primal community. There are some hardcore "raw paleo" folks out there who eat nothing but raw meat.

I don't see myself going there, but then again, I've been doing a lot of things that I never saw myself doing.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

Prowler, like what? Have you eaten bugs?

Prowler Guest

PrimalCon New York

No, that's probably quite a ways down the road for me, still.

I have been eating liver for the first time, though. And the other day I asked my butcher if he could get me some brains.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast