Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids and Carbs page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for all of the ideas! She definitely eats her fruits - bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe, tomatoes, apples, blueberries. I generally serve a fruit with every meal and only limit it once she's eaten a lot (2 apples, a plate full of strawberries). I'm not really purposely restricting her carb intake, but I need to be sure and get her more as a choice for breakfast and lunch. Lunch today was cantaloupe, ham, baked beans, and cheese. Both my kids are skinny, so the only thing I restrict are candy/sugar treats because they go bonkers with too much sugar. They both just really like eating healthy!
    I don't think the cereal was sweetened, it's an "all natural" brand and doesn't list any sugar type things as ingredients.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think people, whether little ones or big ones, are way better off eating natural fruits and starchy vegetables than gluten-free grains. I don't think low carb can kill a young child otherwise the Eskimos never would have had children survive to adulthood.
    I expect that eskimos adapted to low carb genetically and epigenetically over the course of many generations. If they were forced to adapt to a short sharp shock, then only a handful of children - those who happened to have genes confering a survival advantage -would have survived, causing a permanent shift in the local gene pool.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    In addition to eating like me, DS gets unlimited fruit (usually berries mixed with raw yogurt; bananas, apples, pears, seasonal fruit of all kids such as feijoa, kiwi. etc), veggies whenever he wants plus sweet potato and white potatoes (red bliss usually) when he wants them, as well as quinoa and rice on occasion (when he asks).

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Did you try Greek yogurt? 10% fat is best. My kids lap it up with fruits, honey and a sprinkle of toasted germ wehat (CW left-over). I give them all the carbs they want, rice and potatoes and sprouted toast. They eat very balanced, I'd guess about 30 30 30 ratio pretty much by their own choice. I think even Mark wrote somewhere not to restrict the little ones on anything- they have healthy metabolisms and aren't overweight. I felt horrible on VLC, sounds like your daughter does too.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Paleobunny, you in the Bio-Business too? Or is Epigenetics common knowledge these days?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I expect that eskimos adapted to low carb genetically and epigenetically over the course of many generations. If they were forced to adapt to a short sharp shock, then only a handful of children - those who happened to have genes confering a survival advantage -would have survived, causing a permanent shift in the local gene pool.
    I think Steffansen's accounts tell us pretty well that people in general can adapt to survive just fine on zero-carb diets. I just don't think it's optimal for everybody, and definitely unnecessary for any non-Inuits.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Just like adults, children do NOT need grains but they do well with plenty of carbs. Fruit and tubers are fine. Some rice is OK too, I feed it to my kids, but don't let it be a crutch, as it is the safest grain but it's not completely benign (arsenic, etc.)

Paleo bunny, my research indicates that adults, at least, do just fine if suddenly put on a Inuit-type diet. I just wrote a paper for school with some of this information. Here's a start: The Inuit Paradox | Nutrition | DISCOVER Magazine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12