Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loosing weight but gaining body fat page

greenmanspirit is offline Junior Member

Question Loosing weight but gaining body fat

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing the PB for a month now and I feel great and look better than I have in a long time. However, even though the scale is going down, I have been getting higher and higher numbers on the body fat meter. Granted I don't have a perfect primal diet in that I am lenient with oils and sugar a little because I don't like vinegarette salad dressings and instead have been using store bought ones until I find a primal ranch or something similar. Could this be why I am losing weight but gaining body fat?

I have also bought my own body fat meter as opposed to using the gym's and that is the one that is showing the gain, could that also be why, the meters are not all the same?

I plan to stick with the PB because I feel great but I really need to figure out why my percentage is going up.

Thanks for any help.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Those meters can be wildly inaccurate. The number is likely going up because you are losing lots of water weight since your glycogen stores aren't being chronically topped up with a high carb diet. They work by passing a small electric current from one foot (or hand) to the other. If you have less water in your muscles, the meter will read higher. Measurements (waist, thigh, arm, etc.) and how you look in the mirror are better gauges.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    scales and body fat meters are notoriously unreliable markers for actual success. i recommend throwing them out, or at least leaving them in the closet for a while. they're not telling you anything helpful, and both can be wildly affected by something as simple as drinking water.
    if you want to track your progress, stick with the numbers you can literally see--measurements. measure your arms, chest, waist, legs, etc. and keep track of how those change. really, you don't even need to go that advanced. my belt was my best progress tool when i started losing weight. if your clothes are looser, you're getting smaller.
    also consider taking photos of yourself for another visual progress tracker. mostly, though, just take periodic notice of how you feel, how much energy you have, etc.

those oils and sugars...they're not going to totally derail your weight loss, but they're not really helping at all either. furthermore, the vegetable oils you find in supermarket salad dressings are probably the most un-primal food that there is. use the forums search function to find more recipes for salad dressings than you will ever find in a grocery story.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Body measurements are way more reliable than impedance meters. Take waist, hips, thigh, biceps, and neck at regular intervals. Those will tell you what you need to know.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jakey is offline Senior Member
    it's really hard to lose weight and gain fat at the same time, assuming you're not a horrible alcoholic. i don't think that's actually occuring.

kskline is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Body measurements are way more reliable than impedance meters. Take waist, hips, thigh, biceps, and neck at regular intervals. Those will tell you what you need to know.
    My only gripe with this method is that the trainer who was doing the measuring at my gym was not always measuring in the same exact places as she did the previous time so I think it threw my numbers off.

Kim

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    stay with it!

I'm sorry for bumping such an old topic. I wanted to say thank you to everyone's responses.

Hey, Greenmanspirit! the best salad dressing is just to pour plain olive oil on your salad, don't mix it with anything. Buy the best you can and use it liberally

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra from NZ View Post
    Hey, Greenmanspirit! the best salad dressing is just to pour plain olive oil on your salad, don't mix it with anything. Buy the best you can and use it liberally
    I actually tried to teach myself not to use salad dressing but that is admittedly boring lol. I will probably give this a try because it is simple enough for my tight morning schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast