Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF and Lethargy page

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member

IF and Lethargy

I have started utilizing Intermittent Fasting primarily to promote slight weight loss but also to improve my overall health. I have fasted in the past with success as measured by weight loss and other health stats like blood pressure. However, I really feel "out of it" around the 15 hour mark of these small fasts. The goal is to go without food from 8pm until Noon or beyond the following day. I will sometimes have coffee/cream in the A.M. I must say this lethargy makes it hard to want to do anything. I don't recall this "blah feeling" being so prevalent in prior fasts. I am a couple of days into this routine. Do fellow PB's think this is temporary? Do I need to just tough it out?

There is not an expectation that this will be easy. But mental fog is kinda annoying.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating enough during your window? Maybe try decreasing your fast time and as you adjust, slowly increase.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkp6652 View Post
    I have started utilizing Intermittent Fasting primarily to promote slight weight loss but also to improve my overall health. I have fasted in the past with success as measured by weight loss and other health stats like blood pressure. However, I really feel "out of it" around the 15 hour mark of these small fasts. The goal is to go without food from 8pm until Noon or beyond the following day. I will sometimes have coffee/cream in the A.M. I must say this lethargy makes it hard to want to do anything. I don't recall this "blah feeling" being so prevalent in prior fasts. I am a couple of days into this routine. Do fellow PB's think this is temporary? Do I need to just tough it out?

There is not an expectation that this will be easy. But mental fog is kinda annoying.
    Walk/exercise when you feel it coming on. Everyone has to start somewhere, but 16 hrs shouldn't be too hard to adjust to (you are just skipping one meal) and considering you have done prior fasting. How many days in a row have you done the 16 hours? Are you eating carbs?

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Me too, feel like rubbish. I think tradawg is right, not eating enough in the window....
    I'm currently feeling shakey and moody, like hypoglycemia symptoms.

I know now that I do much better on 2 meals a day, or at least one meal + one snack, and going too long isn't good.
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

mkp6652 is offline Junior Member
    I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Perhaps I am cutting too many calories during my window, although I do not purposely restrict and eat whatever I feel like during my feeding window.

Dboxing, I think exercise/walking sounds like a good idea to combat that feeling. Or maybe I need a 5 hour energy drink.

dboxing is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Perhaps I am cutting too many calories during my window, although I do not purposely restrict and eat whatever I feel like during my feeding window.

Dboxing, I think exercise/walking sounds like a good idea to combat that feeling. Or maybe I need a 5 hour energy drink.
    Hope you are kidding about the drink.

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    I've been primal for 7 months now, lost 46 lbs. 45 year old dude. I have been easing in to fasting for 3 or 4 months now. I am now able to easily fast 24 hours, dinner to dinner and I usually feel better after I fast. I always have decaf coffee with whole, raw milk, about half coffee and half milk) when I fast, sometimes another at noon. I have definitely experienced the brain fog too. The key for me has been to eat lots of fat. I eat fat every time I eat, avocado, egg, bacon, sausage, beef, cheese, almonds. Always something with fat and usually lots of it. There are definitely days when I have to break my fast because I am starving, I usually eat a lb or more of beef or pork or bacon and eggs on those days and I usually lose the most weight on those days, 2-3 lbs sometimes in a day. I was stuck on a plateau at about -40 for 5 weeks and I upped my fasts to pretty much every other day for 24 hours, dinner to dinner. It kicked up the weight loss again and I have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks and I feel amazing.

I think the two key points for me with fasting is to eat plenty of fat every day and eat plenty of food when it is time to eat. And if you have brain fog then you should eat and try fasting another day. Also, one of Mark's fasting posts mentioned that it is considered fasting if you eat less than 15% of your normal intake. So, have a coffee with cream or a handful of almonds or a hardboiled egg to see if that pushes away the brain fog. Some days are not meant to be fast days whether you want to or not. That is one of the things I love most about primal living is learning to listen to your body and fast when it wants to and don't when it doesn't.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I went through some blahs when I was eating big every day. When I switched to eating no carbs at some of my meals I started feeling better. It could be other things too. Are you walking enough? How is your daily sun thing going? Are you supplementing? How is your sleep? etc.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It could be the coffee and cream that's doing it. I don't like the way caffeine feels in the morning and I've been doing the leangains approach for almost two years now.

MrRoberts is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've experienced that in the past if not consuming enough calories during the feeding window.

I solved it by eating the require amount of calories and drinking enough water, the mental fog was gone even during the fast.

First thing in the morning (6am), I drink a large glass of water, then a mug of organic coffee with a tablespoon of single cream by 8am and finally, drag my ass out of the house doing 45 - 60 minutes of LISS by 10am. By 11am, I have some Green Tea to continue burning the fat and then, the big ass lunch.

Fast requires more water than normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast