Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are sweet potatoes superior to normal potatoes? page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Why are sweet potatoes superior to normal potatoes?

Primal Fuel
    Just curious!

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Beause they are orange, and they taste awesome.

Less starch, more protein perhaps? Good question that one.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are strongly anti-inflammatory. White potatoes are mildly inflammatory.

Sweet potatoes have a superior micronutrient profile, especially for vitamins A and C. They are also higher in fiber.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sweet potato, cooked, baked in skin, without salt [Sweetpotato]

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potato, baked, flesh and skin, without salt
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I don't really think one is superior to the other. Although I LOVE sweet potatoes. But I like the white potatoes too.

@paleo-bunny: I wouldn't put too much weight into the inflammatory index on Nutrition Data. It's basically a formula that someone came up with that isn't accurate in all cases. I think it demonizes saturated fat and glorifies PUFA. Case in point, corn/canola oil is seen as anti-inflammatory: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Oil, corn and canola
    The formula is also affected by serving size.

I like white potatoes better for my post-workout carb. Sweet potatoes have more fiber so they don't digest as quickly. If you're not carbing up, that's a good property though.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I don't really think one is superior to the other. Although I LOVE sweet potatoes. But I like the white potatoes too.

@paleo-bunny: I wouldn't put too much weight into the inflammatory index on Nutrition Data. It's basically a formula that someone came up with that isn't accurate in all cases. I think it demonizes saturated fat and glorifies PUFA. Case in point, corn/canola oil is seen as anti-inflammatory: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Oil, corn and canola
    The formula is also affected by serving size.

I like white potatoes better for my post-workout carb. Sweet potatoes have more fiber so they don't digest as quickly. If you're not carbing up, that's a good property though.
    Yes, I've noticed that Nutrition Data's inflammatory index is very flawed too, especially with regards to fats. However, I've read elsewhere that sweet potatoes have strong anti-inflammatory properties, so I believe in this case it is correct. I find the site a useful source of information regarding micronutrient content, and that was my reason for posting the links.

I rarely eat sweet potatoes post-workout for the reason you cite. I usually eat them at lunchtime about 5-6 hours before a workout. White-rice is my starch of choice for muscle recovery and glycogen replenishment post-workout.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-02-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added last line
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I find the site a useful source of information regarding micronutrient content, and that was my reason for posting the links.
    Totally agree. Nutrition Data is awesome for showing detailed macro- and micronutrient breakdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Totally agree. Nutrition Data is awesome for showing detailed macro- and micronutrient breakdowns.
    Yes, I find it useful for macronutrient breakdown too. Especially when it provides a full breakdown of carbs into sugars, starch and fiber.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I think it's mostly left-over from differentiating paleo from SAD. To me, the best indicator as to what foods are best for me(as someone who has been primal for a comparatively long time), is digestive consequences. White potatoes don't have them, sweet potatoes do, so I eat white potatoes, not sweet. I know the same is the case for at least a few other people on here.

johneeeveee Guest
    Hey Jesse... great to chat with you the other night.
    White potatoes have more Potassium and Lutein
    Sweet potatoes have more soluble fiber, Vitamin C, and way more Beta Carotene (hence the orange color).

Hope that helps... peace - jv

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree what has already been said, but I would like to add:

White potatoes are in the nightshade family so many people have issues digesting them, sweet potatoes are not.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast