Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pay for grassfed beef?? (chicken/pork/eggs/dairy as well) page

Lily is offline Junior Member

How much do you pay for grassfed beef?? (chicken/pork/eggs/dairy as well)

Primal Fuel
    I'm kind of feeling like my supplier is ripping me off. The farmer's market near my house is in a kind of fancy neighborhood, so I don't know if my meat supplier is charging a fair price, or upping the price because of the clientele. I like to buy grassfed/clean meats, but the prices keep going up, and I don't know what the balance is between buying healthy food and admitting that it is getting too expensive for my family. I understand that animals are expensive to maintain, and I want to pay a fair price to the farmers, but I feel like the pendulum has swung past a fair price, and has become exhorbitant.

Thanks for your input!

Lily

boxcarguy07 is online now Senior Member
    I pay $8 for a gallon of raw, grass-fed, jersey cow whole milk
    $7-$8/lb for grass fed beef - that's for ground and for certain roasts.
    About $5 for a dozen pastured eggs.

Expensive, yes, but IMO not exorbitantly so when the quality is considered. To me it's worth it. If I had to take care of a family I don't know if I could do it.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

primalpanda is offline Member
    We pay $5/lb for local grassfed ground beef and around $12 for tri-tip (for example). $6-7 for a dozen large pastured eggs. Can't recall exactly on the chicken as my partner always pays at the market, but I think a 3-3.5lb pastured chicken is about $15.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I pay $5 a pound for grassfed ground beef from a local farmer. Whole Foods charges $8 per pound for the same. My local farmer just raised his price on chickens from $15 to $18. If they don't grow to about 5 pounds, he'll cut the price on processing day. I hate paying that much for the chickens, but they are the best. It really helps now that I've worked broth into my diet on a daily basis. Boiling the bones for broth really stretches the food dollar.

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Wow, those are crazy prices!! Find yourself a farmer close by and contact them directly. I buy half a beef every year at $2.49/lb plus wrapping/cutting. I pay $4.00 a dozen for eggs. Chicken and turkey are around $2.99/lb.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicsamm View Post
    Wow, those are crazy prices!! Find yourself a farmer close by and contact them directly. I buy half a beef every year at $2.49/lb plus wrapping/cutting. I pay $4.00 a dozen for eggs. Chicken and turkey are around $2.99/lb.
    it sounds like $2.49 is hanging weight, which you get less when you count the cut weight. So you're probably looking around $4-$5lb. It also depends where in the country you live. I've looked at a lot of local farmers and the best deal I found is $6lb for a yearly CSA program (25lb a month) for a variety of cuts and its about the same for pasture raised poultry. Cost of living is significantly higher in NJ/NY/Mass/CT then in the middle of the country and the demand is quite high here in Mass.

At whole foods the prices vary depending on cut $6 (ground beef) - $25lb (rib eye). At the farmers markets they are not that much better then whole foods... Pasture raised eggs at the farmers markets are $5 a dozen (I've been to 4 different ones). I still have to pay more at whole foods ($6 a dozen).

The farmers market produce prices are also quite high. CSA full shares for summer produce range from $600 - $800 for a full share.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    About 5$/pound if I buy it by the quarter or half. This includes all the expensive cuts like ribeye, roasts, filet, and so on. Good stuff! Highly recommend a deep freeze and buying in bulk if you can afford the up front cost it pays in the long run.

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Here in NH at all the local farms grass fed beef will run you about $7-10/lb after hanging and butchering/packaging. Unfortunately, it's too much for me. Pastured chickens are about $7/lb around here too, which again, way too much for me.

I buy pastured eggs at $3.00 a dozen and usually they're utterly jumbo, I can't imagine how they fit out of the birds.

The raw milk I get is $7.50 a gallon.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    I pay $8 for a gallon of raw, grass-fed, jersey cow whole milk
    $7-$8/lb for grass fed beef - that's for ground and for certain roasts.
    About $5 for a dozen pastured eggs.

Expensive, yes, but IMO not exorbitantly so when the quality is considered. To me it's worth it. If I had to take care of a family I don't know if I could do it.
    This is about what I pay as well.

Here's an interesting article about grass fed met prices that I got in the mail yesterday:
    Why Grassfed Meat Costs More and Is Worth It | Tender Grassfed Meat
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Lily is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks guys,

YES! I AM OVER PAYING...

The only meat I can afford is:
    $8.99/lb ground beef

Any steak cuts are around $17/lb. A roast cut is about $13.99/lb.
    $10/ gallon of milk

My egg and chicken suppliers seem to be the same price as what people are paying. I never buy chicken breasts, or any "parts" I buy the whole bird and strip it myself and use everything (including bones) to save money and to be resourceful with the food. But the chickens have gone up in price. Last summer I could get a dozen eggs and a chicken for under $20...no longer...

I used to love going to the farmer's market, now I feel so depressed everytime, because I feel like I am getting ripped off, and I can't afford it. I'm glad that people are supporting the local farmers, but I think the demand for clean meat is causing prices to be too expensive for normal people to afford. Any suggestions on how to find more affordable meat that is not CAFO??

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast