Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 214

Thread: Justaseeker's Journal page 8

  1. #71
    Gwynn's Avatar
    Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    353
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by justaseeker View Post
    Exactly! I had my former doctor - the one who still sees my husband as our "family doctor" - do that to me, too - and HE is the one who actually performed my colonoscopy! And, that area is a rural area and he's been our "family doctor" for many years. Right.
    Well, that takes the cake.

  2. #72
    Gwynn's Avatar
    Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by justaseeker View Post
    Thanks. I hadn't heard that but obviously it makes sense to me. I can also get all the variety I need or want by changing up the salad ingredients (keeping them in line with the generic profile) frequently and also with the snacks. Even though I ended up keeping the fish & flax oil in my supplements, I still plan to eat more fish with my salad and to eat more chia seeds as snacks.
    How are you eating the chia seeds? They are so tiny! I have a bag, I have mixed them in smoothies and such.

  3. #73
    Pamsc's Avatar
    Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    356
    The cheapest way to get an A1c is probably to do a home test--search home A1c test on Amazon. I used to do the home tests every three months the first couple of years after I was diagnosed--similar to: AccuBase A1c Test Kit. I haven't tried the one with a meter.
    __________________________
    age 56, type 2 diabetes, swimmer
    low carb since 2006 thanks to Jenny, primal since Jan. 2012

  4. #74
    justaseeker's Avatar
    justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    How are you eating the chia seeds? They are so tiny! I have a bag, I have mixed them in smoothies and such.
    As a snack I just chew a SMALL spoonful - and keep a glass of water handy for sipping. They get very chewy/gelatinous. Kinda fun - but that's a personal preference thing.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

    Justaseeker's Journal:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

    Iodine Research and Application Group:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

  5. #75
    justaseeker's Avatar
    justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    The cheapest way to get an A1c is probably to do a home test--search home A1c test on Amazon. I used to do the home tests every three months the first couple of years after I was diagnosed--similar to: AccuBase A1c Test Kit. I haven't tried the one with a meter.
    Thanks, Pam! I had forgotten that Walmart makes an A1c test kit - their ReLion brand. I had tried another brand of glucose meter and didn't like it - and then tried the Walmart/ReLion that Chris Kresser recommends. Its much better - more reliable. So, I had planned to use their A1c test sometime. It also has good reviews, especially as compared to other brands. Now's that time! I just ordered one.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

    Justaseeker's Journal:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

    Iodine Research and Application Group:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

  6. #76
    Pony500's Avatar
    Pony500 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by justaseeker View Post
    Hi Pony,

    Well, I can give you an early report on Nutreince now, since I got my shipment yesterday. I was hoping that there would be information about which packet - AM & PM - had which nutrients so that I could avoid competitions if I added any extra nutrients. Well, there was no such information. So, I referred to the charts in "Naked Calories" and found that iodine has NO competitions (and a few synergies) so no problems when I take Iodine. I take the iodine with my first meal of the day.
    Well, interestingly, I was just reading the reviews for the Dr. Brownstein iodine book and somewhere in there, people were commenting that iodine is an oxidant, so you shouldn't take too much vitamin C or selenium at the same time. Have you read that anywhere? In fact, someone said that if you take too much iodine that the antidote would be to just take more vitamin C. They also said that chocolate has a lot of bromine in it, which was new to me as well and something I wasn't happy about, since I eat a fair amount of it.

    This all does get really confusing! No wonder many people just quit supplementing!! I thought that I heard (maybe from you in the iodine thread) that potassium and magnesium competed against each other, so I started to take the potassium in the morning and the magnesium at night. But for now, you are taking your iodine along with your vitamin C? You said you had a liquid C, didn't you? What brand is it? And your liquid calcium/magnesium/D3, what brand is that? I do like the idea of liquid supplements. I'm not a big fan of too much stevia in things either, so I will keep that in mind if I get it to just use water.

  7. #77
    justaseeker's Avatar
    justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony500 View Post
    Well, interestingly, I was just reading the reviews for the Dr. Brownstein iodine book and somewhere in there, people were commenting that iodine is an oxidant, so you shouldn't take too much vitamin C or selenium at the same time. Have you read that anywhere? In fact, someone said that if you take too much iodine that the antidote would be to just take more vitamin C. They also said that chocolate has a lot of bromine in it, which was new to me as well and something I wasn't happy about, since I eat a fair amount of it.

    This all does get really confusing! No wonder many people just quit supplementing!! I thought that I heard (maybe from you in the iodine thread) that potassium and magnesium competed against each other, so I started to take the potassium in the morning and the magnesium at night. But for now, you are taking your iodine along with your vitamin C? You said you had a liquid C, didn't you? What brand is it? And your liquid calcium/magnesium/D3, what brand is that? I do like the idea of liquid supplements. I'm not a big fan of too much stevia in things either, so I will keep that in mind if I get it to just use water.
    Pony, where were you reading those reviews?

    I don't recall seeing any comments about not taking iodine with selenium or vitamin C. I take my C (KAL calcium ascorbate powder) at bedtime now - and the iodine early in the afternoon. The calcium/magnesium/D3 supplement that I take is Lifetime calcium magnesium citrate. I get these supplements from Vitacost.

    A better "antidote" for iodine may be whole salt. Whole salt helps with detoxing the halides - but it also binds to excess iodine, according to some sources. So, I don't do SOLE or salted water close to taking iodine any more, just in case.

    Chocolate has theobromine - not bromine:

    What is Theobromine?
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

    Justaseeker's Journal:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

    Iodine Research and Application Group:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

  8. #78
    Pony500's Avatar
    Pony500 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northeast PA
    Posts
    78
    Hey Seeker,

    I was reading the reviews on Amazon and there was one that had 16 comments (and yes, I not only read the reviews, but I am compelled to read the comments too!). Anyway, someone said something about iodine being an oxidant and not to take antioxidants with it. But you know, I printed out some of the links that had been posted in the iodine thread and the one -this one I think Iodine: the Next Vitamin D? Part I | Longevity and Aging Research Articles | Longevity Medicine Review said that it was an antioxidant, so I don't know. Yeah, with the chocolate, maybe they were talking about the theobromine and jumped to a conclusion.

  9. #79
    justaseeker's Avatar
    justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony500 View Post
    Hey Seeker,

    I was reading the reviews on Amazon and there was one that had 16 comments (and yes, I not only read the reviews, but I am compelled to read the comments too!). Anyway, someone said something about iodine being an oxidant and not to take antioxidants with it. But you know, I printed out some of the links that had been posted in the iodine thread and the one -this one I think Iodine: the Next Vitamin D? Part I | Longevity and Aging Research Articles | Longevity Medicine Review said that it was an antioxidant, so I don't know. Yeah, with the chocolate, maybe they were talking about the theobromine and jumped to a conclusion.
    Thanks, Pony. I read the comments/reviews at Amazon, too. Sometimes they are helpful and sometimes they help me decide whether or not to buy a product or a brand. Other times, not so much. Sometimes I see misinformation there. Or, if I'm not sure about the information I will read more on that subject elsewhere - like you did.

    I would tend to agree with the notion that iodine is an ANTIOXIDANT based on its action as a chelating agent for mercury and cadmium. See this article for a discussion on antioxidants:

    Antioxidant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

    Justaseeker's Journal:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

    Iodine Research and Application Group:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

  10. #80
    justaseeker's Avatar
    justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    705
    Thought I'd share why I've been in a fuss over the A1C test (or the lack thereof) recently. I've been watching my weight and my lipids & blood sugar slowly creep up since menopause 11 years ago. Well, not exactly passively watching but despite lifestyle changes that's basically what has been happening. So, I wanted to make better efforts at the lifestyle changes, low fat diets and other conventional methods weren't getting the whole job done, although they have helped somewhat.

    The last straw was my recent post holiday labs in early January, when my A1C was 5.8. Well, 5.8 is considered "normal", so what's the fuss? See the charts here:

    A1C Calculator | HbA1C Chart to Blood Glucose Levels Chart

    The fuss is that 5.8 is near the top of normal and too close to "nominal" for comfort, especially given the upward trend that I have been living with for so long. Some people would consider 5.8 - which equals an average 120 blood glucose - to be pre-diabetic territory. I don't know about that, but in this case "normal" feels a little bit abnormal to me, especially given that I have also been experiencing a new (for me) tendency to reactive hypoglycemia. Basically, its been feeling like I am developing abnormal glucose processing.

    However, based on my excellent blood pressure (115/75 pre-primal, 116/65 primal) and ease of converting to a fat burning metabolism, I am not especially insulin resistant - and I'd like to keep it that way.

    My current average blood glucose (according to my meter) is 102. That translates to somewhere between 5.0 and 5.1, which is WAY better - near the low end of normal. Will see what the A1C home test says. I feel like this improvement represents what the change of diet from carb burning to fat burning has done for me. Although, to be fair I HAD eaten holiday foods that I don't usually eat before the previous 5.8/120 result. Still, three months before the post holiday tests the labs then weren't that much better for glucose.

    Anyway, now I would like to see what adding significant exercise into the mix will do for my blood sugar (among other things). My goal is to move my blood sugar firmly into the "optimal" range (4.0/65 to 4.9/97). Right now, I have every reason to feel confident about meeting this goal.
    Last edited by justaseeker; 04-12-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

    Justaseeker's Journal:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

    Iodine Research and Application Group:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •