Thread: Left atrial enlargement page

archbox is offline Member

Left atrial enlargement

Hey guys,

I had an incident where I got a virus, kept throwing up, and then went into some form of fibrillation and had to be rushed to the ER. The EKG I had a week later came up normal, except with left atrial enlargement. What's a young primal guy like me to do? Avoid alcohol/consume alcohol, take more magnesium, do more low level (walking, swimming) instead of higher intensity, or what? Thanks

Edit: just saw this on mark's post today:
    http://happytoserveyou.com.au/the-me...cted-to-coffee

Maybe I should pick up some coffee
    Last edited by archbox; 04-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    5'10", 140 lb, 21yo male. Primal for a year.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Depends. Any blockages or stenosis AKA what caused the enlargement (valve degeneration, congenital stenosis, ect....)? Any restrictions from your cardiologist upon release....? Any actual damage to the heart tissue? Have you had a stress test or anything else?

atrial fibrillation or ventricular fibrillation or something like that. I actually lost my short term memory surrounding the incident.
    No restrictions, said because I'm so young I'm probably healthy -_- I asked for a stress test but he said he couldn't do it. I went to my PCP and asked for a stress test and he said maybe later, he wanted a CT on my head first and then he'd worry about the heart. I've only had an EKG and just had a CT scan

I wish the EKG paper he gave me said how much it was enlarged. The reason I'm asking is because of this:
    Left Atrial Size May Predict Exercise Capacity and Cardiovascular Events in Patients with Heart Failure
    I'm just wondering if it should affect my exercise.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by archbox View Post
    atrial fibrillation or ventricular fibrillation or something like that. I actually lost my short term memory surrounding the incident.
    No restrictions, said because I'm so young I'm probably healthy -_- I asked for a stress test but he said he couldn't do it. I went to my PCP and asked for a stress test and he said maybe later, he wanted a CT on my head first and then he'd worry about the heart. I've only had an EKG and just had a CT scan
    Due to the loss of memory and whatnot your PCP is on the right track IMO, but if your more than 24 hours on from the initial event you probably would be better served with an MRI (CT is great at catching a bleed which is important to find in the first 24hs, but an MRI will find more in the way of TIA's clots and so on). Either way good to check your head before moving on. Hey young people can throw a clot too. Keep working with your PCP....seems like he is at least checking things in the correct order.

I'd just stick to walking till some of these things come back clear. Get clear, then just go on with your life. Find out what the enlargement was actually from too.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.