Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo/primal diet for those without gluten intolerance page

Karma33 is offline Member

Paleo/primal diet for those without gluten intolerance

Primal Fuel
    My wife has a gluten intolerance, so she has done wonderful eating paleo or primal most, if not all of the time. I have read mark's book and Robb Wolf's book, and i buy into alot of what they are saying, especially for people with auto immune disorders or gluten intolerances. I do not have these allergies, that i know of, and have gotten very lean eating six meals a day, each one with lean proteins and complex carbs, including whole grains like whole bread and whole wheat pasta. I felt fine and got very lean. It was portion controlled. I ate potatoes, but not fried.

Do you guys think eliminating these whole grains make a serious health difference or fat loss in people without these intolerances? I really enjoy whole grain bread, baked fries, whole wheat tortillas, and have gotten really lean while eating them with lean proteins. I admit to being feeling hungry while eating this way, but my health seemed great.

It seems to me that alot of the primal success stories have ibs, celiac disease, or obesity, which the reduction in calories and sugar probably had alot to do with great results. I am truly not trying to downplay any great results so many of you have had eating this way, i am just trying to decide what direction i should go: lean proteins, complex carbs, veggies and fruit vs. paleo/ primal.

I am interested to hear your opinions. Thanks.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think you won't know whether you actually have a problem with gluten unless you eliminate it for 2 or 3 weeks. If you don't see any difference, try adding it back in. You might notice something then.

Right now, you've had it in your system pretty much since birth, so you might not know any different.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't gluten intolerant. Until I was.

I was quite trim and healthy eating lots of veg, a little lean meat, whole grains and legumes. Then I developed an autoimmune condition and all bets were off. I wasn't someone who ate crap all my life and then hit a wall. I was the poster child for CW eating. Then, despite my obsessive exercise and calorie counting habits, I started to gain weight. I lost most of my hair. I had chronic edema. It was horrible.

Grains are inflammatory. Once you damage your gut to the point you have intestinal permeability, then that's when your body can tip over into autoimmunity. Gluten is one of the most common proteins linked to this, but pretty much all grains have prolamines that can get your body attacking itself.

So, can you eat grains and be healthy? Maybe. You may never develop the issues many people do later in life. If I knew a decade ago what I know now, I wouldn't make them part of my regular diet. I might have them as an occasional treat but that's it. Now I really can't have most grains at all.

I think if you want optimum health, you should stick to paleo/primal foods. You don't have to go low carb, especially if you're really active. There are so many varieties of roots, tubers, and squashes out there. Some folks even do well with white rice. I think if you are eating grains like wheat and corn on a regular basis, you're taking a risk with your future health.

If I smoke a cigarette and don't immediately keel over dead, does that mean smoking isn't dangerous?

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Do your wife a favor and cut all gluten out for 30-60 days and watch how your libido roars and your erection quality is like it was when you were 18-24....then come back and ask us if gluten makes a difference. I didn't know I had any trouble w/ gluten until about 6 weeks after starting gluten free...and I will never go back.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not gluten intolerant... but I prefer to avoid it because it's a lot like smoking pot IMO... it makes me want to eat and eat and eat.

I feel satisfied with food when I DON'T eat the breads/grains... even when I eat carbs like sweet potato or white potato.

So for me, it's not about the intolerance at all (as far as digestive issues)... but the hunger that grains induce. I also like being satisfied with only two meals a day (sometimes even just one)... instead of feeling I need to eat frequently scheduled meals and hitting that "crash-y" low blood sugar faint feeling if I miss one by an hour. Or the late afternoon Binge time crash thing that CW dieting with the 3 small meals and 3 snacks often induced. My entire life used to revolve around food, scheduling food, making sure I had portable food, watching the clock to see when it was time to eat food. To hell with all that.

No grains/legumes, lower (than SAD) carb, and I'm the one in control again. That's an eating plan I can live with.

As usual... YMMV.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Wheat products never really bothered me, but now I notice that I get gassy (and smelly), I get hungrier with more cravings, and my face breaks out more when I eat it. No-brainer, at this point.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    My experience is similar to DaisyEater's. It took years of eating gluten wholegrains before they caused severely debilitating IBS and other inflammatory problems.

Once I gave up gluten grains I put on a lot of weight because that cleared up malabsorption problems. I've had to adjust my calorie intake downwards.

I've now eliminated sufficient inflammatory crap from my diet and environment that I can thrive. I've never felt healthier and my energy levels are better than they were as a child. And I was a very active child compared to today's children.

However, it has to be said that I have a family history of allergy, atopy, food intolerances, histamine dysregulation and several auto-immune diseases, so I'm not Ms Average, thus I can't speak for someone who doesn't have these genetic disadvantages.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Karma33 is offline Member
    Thanks for the interesting replies. I know alot of people following paleo say that their hunger reduced after eliminating grains and increasing natural fats. If i were to compare diets, do you guys think i should do paleo for a certain time period, then do my other diet for a certain period, to see how they compare?

I know alot of you report having adverse reactions to gluten only after discontinuing it for a while , then trying it again. Is that enough to make you think you should not eat it, or maybe your body has become too sensitive? I am trying to be sensitive with my questions. I know alot of you have made unbelievable changes following primal. Thanks.
    P

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Wheat products never really bothered me, but now I notice that I get gassy (and smelly), I get hungrier with more cravings, and my face breaks out more when I eat it. No-brainer, at this point.
    Skin issues are a sign of gut issues.. so in fact wheat products DO irritate your gut.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma33 View Post
    Thanks for the interesting replies. I know alot of people following paleo say that their hunger reduced after eliminating grains and increasing natural fats. If i were to compare diets, do you guys think i should do paleo for a certain time period, then do my other diet for a certain period, to see how they compare?

I know alot of you report having adverse reactions to gluten only after discontinuing it for a while , then trying it again. Is that enough to make you think you should not eat it, or maybe your body has become too sensitive? I am trying to be sensitive with my questions. I know alot of you have made unbelievable changes following primal. Thanks.
    P
    Actually it is true that your body becomes more sensitive to it. But it doesnt make it NOT a toxin. Think of people that can drink tons of alcohol and not get drunk.. if they then never drank and had a couple drinks they would get drunk quickly. Does that mean they should continue drinking lots of alcohol so as not to be so sensitive to it? I would think not since it is still a toxin.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast