Thread: nutritional deficiencies page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

nutritional deficiencies

Shop Now
    Eating the SAD obviously exacerbates this but I'm wondering if eating Primal is really enough, if supplementing isn't almost a necessity. I'm sure Mark covers this in his books but it's been a while since I read PB.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I supplement. I don't eat offal, marrow, bone broth or the better for you grass-fed meats & eggs. I'm older, with a naturally slower metabolism which means I'm not going to eat 2000 calories a day. Gotta make the best out of what I have to work with.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have to supplement with some things.

If I don't get enough magnesium, I get migraines, and it takes quite a bit so it would be difficult to get from food withut causing other problems. I'm also recovering from yet another concussion, so I'm taking L-Trytophan to keep the depression/irritability away and give me the ability to actually get things done. The L-Tryptophan is probably short term, but I'm sure I'll need the magnesium for the rest of my life.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I think cod liver oil is probably important.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Everyone is in a different situation with this. It's as individual as eating is.

I have medical issues that mean I HAVE to eat almost ZERO salt (sodium chloride) and supplement both potassium and magnesium more than even most serious athletes need to.
    I do eat offal, but also need to supplement with sub-lingual B12 + B complex for the same reason (B6 is critical for me).
    I also have to consume an inordinate amount of citrate to prevent kidney stones (I'm swapping my K and Mag over to citrate types to see if I can tolerate them). For now I'm getting most of this from adding lemon and lime to my drinking water.
    And I can't touch a food with baking soda or baking powder in it.

But... I honestly think if one is eating a wide variety of veg and some fruits... lots of colors... that it isn't critical to add supplements unless you can pinpoint a definite need.
    Such as I pointed out above I don't take things willy nilly. I know exactly why I have to do each of those things; it is a very well defined set of needs.
    It honestly never hurts to take a good quality daily multivitamin just to cover the bases though.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.