Thread: Chinese takeaway page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

Chinese takeaway

So...I get home on Friday night after a particularly stressful week and I just did not feel like cooking, so partner (non primal) suggested takeout. Hell yeah, how bad can it be? It's only one meal and I have been excellently primal for over 3 months, I'm not overweight so it's not a weight concern. How wrong was I ? Within 20 minutes of eating I felt bloated and gassy, within 2 hrs I was farting like a trouper (gone any notion of a romantic evening) and I just felt generally awful!

I do not remember the odd take away doing this to me in the past, however I may not have noticed with all the 'noise' created by my normal eating - which were not bad by any stretch of the imagination but did include crackers and beans and oats. I had even been mindful of what I ordered going for Chinese and stuck with meat and rice, but it's obviously still full of shit!
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Oh I hope I can still eat Chinese~ our usual take-out place has steamed veggies with a sauce on the side and roast duck~ that, with a spoonful of rice............I wish I could have my old favs, but like you, I don't think they'd stay my favorites for long!

piefrog is offline Junior Member
    Funny that I saw this today. I have only been Primal for 5 days. Yesterday I hiked 11 miles, thought I'd reward myself with a beer. Wow!! Within an hour I felt bloated, heavy and I looked 8 months pregnant!! I'm 5'2" 127lbs. (and I'm not pregant). And I farted all night. Guess it wasn't so rewarding after all.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I thought I could get away with eating Asian foods if I just stayed away from the rice and noodles and just ate things chicken stir-fry. Chicken and veggies ... how bad can that be? But then I learned most restaurants use cheap, crappy vegetable oils to cook with, and the soy and teriyaki sauces contain gluten (not to mention a ton of sodium), so it's still no good.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    What beer did you drink? Was it something like a Blue Moon or another "fruity" beer that is hazy and unfiltered? Beer that is cloudy is sometimes cloudy because it's unfiltered. A good part of the haze comes from yeast that is still in suspension. Consuming brewers yeast can give you farts and make you feel bloated. So it may not be beer per say, rather the particular style of beer.

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed this too. My body just can't handle that stuff anymore. If I get chinese food, theres no way I can stay away from the fried stuff, its just too good. So I suffer and it takes me days to recover. I'm eating it less and less and less..
    January 14th-306.2
    January 21st, lost 2" off my waist.
    January 30th-300.2

Come to the edge she said.
    No, I'll fall.
    Come to the edge.
    No, it's too high.
    Come to the edge.
    I came
    She pushed
    And I flew

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I get joint pain and swelling from even a little soy sauce. Much more than that and I'll have GI issues. So Chinese is pretty much out for me. As is Korean, which I love.

I do pretty well with Thai, though.

piefrog is offline Junior Member
    It was a Negro Modelo. And I know we're talking about chinese food. I love Chinese, Japanes, Tai foods. But now I'm nervous to try it. Is Saki bad? Rice wine right?

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Saki's only ill effect on me is a hangover

milly3 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh god yes... I had chinese not too long ago and I woke up with the most awful food hangover...ick