Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegman's grass fed ground beef page

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

Wegman's grass fed ground beef

Primal Fuel
    Since starting primal eating at the end of laast year, I have been able to get healthy free range eggs consistently. However, grass fed meats were out of my budget. The grocery store I primarily shop at is a Wegman's, a New York state chain. They have a line called 'Food You Feel Good About'. It is sometimes affordable, sometimes pricey

Their ground beef was origanally priced at $5.79/pound at my store, but recently was repriced at $5.29/pound. That is just a couple bucks per pound over their 90/10 lean ground beef we normally get. So ZI bought 2 packages to have for dinner last night.

I have been reading on these threads how much better the grass fed beef tastes and was ready to have my taste buds excited. Man, was it bland. My wife asked what cut of beef it was from and I could not tell her because it was not on the wrapper.

Does anyone know what beef cuts are used? Is this experience typical for ground beef that is grass fed purchased at the farm?

I am at the point to just continue using their club pack 90/10 ground beef because it has great flavor, is affordable, and I believe it is ground at the store.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Lilyheart is offline Senior Member
    I work for Wegmans. I can try and find out for you. Or, you might be better off directly asking the butcher there as I'm not sure how different it is from store to store.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I am a HUGE fan of Wegmans. I don't know what I'd do without that store!

Your best bet is to ask the butcher at your store, if it's ground In House.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of Wegmans. I don't know what I'd do without that store!

Your best bet is to ask the butcher at your store, if it's ground In House.
    No, the grassfed beef is pre-packaged in 1 pound bricks.

I was really wondering about the taste, the cut would lead me to why it is so bland.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"

I have no idea. I buy a number of things from Wegmans, though meat generally isn't one of them because I have cheaper sources for pastured animals. In my experience they're generally helpful when you have questions though. Try e-mailing customer service perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I have no idea. I buy a number of things from Wegmans, though meat generally isn't one of them because I have cheaper sources for pastured animals. In my experience they're generally helpful when you have questions though. Try e-mailing customer service perhaps?
    Thanks Diana, I didn't think of that.

Rearden is offline Junior Member
    I just had that for dinner tonight. It took me a while to get used to the different flavor. I found this on their website, which at least tells where they get the beef from:
    Organic Food You Feel Good About Grass-Fed Beef*| Wegmans
    Last edited by Rearden; 02-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.

OMG, NO WAY! I work in Big Flats!!! You know we're gonna hafta meet up, right!?

Rearden is offline Junior Member
    Sure thing! Where do you work? I saw your success story in the paperback book!!

Lilyheart is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wasn't in an open store today (I was in the King of Prussia store that isn't open yet, May 6th!!!). But, at the training office I did run into one of the butcher trainees. He wasn't sure what specific cut the ground is from, but he knows it was from the top two grades of quality (prime and choice). He said he "thought" the ground might be from a few different cuts but his training really hasn't gotten that far. I've only seen him on my trainee bus over the last two weeks or so, so he is super new.

I'll be busing trainee's to the Allentown store tomorrow night, so if I get a moment near the butcher I'll ask them (but I do still suggest asking the butcher in your local store. They will be more then willing to try and find you an answer).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast