Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days to maintaining Primal for good. page 2

CrissyTibby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    The trick to beating sugar cravings is not to beat them into submission with a 30 day period of abstinence, but to be smart about indulging them. Your body is not stupid. When you crave something sweet, it's for a reason. People will try to tell you that sugar is addictive and that's why you crave it, but try eating a few cubes of plain white sugar or drinking a glass of maple syrup and you will see that sugar is not addictive, the hyperpalatability of the processed food that it comes in is. Honey, maple syrup and blackstrap molasses are all perfectly healthy sweeteners, as they contain vitamins and minerals. The first two have been sought for thousands of years.

One should also eat according to the circadian cycle, eating sweet things (as well as the bulk of one's food) in the morning or early afternoon.
    I have always tended to eat more food earlier in the day (my schedule has always seen me up around 3-4 am)-- so that is nice to know.

I believe you are right about the sugar. I wanted to commit to 30 days as more of a kick off. I don't usually struggle this hard with my diet and the small amount of sugar during my weekly cheat meals was turning into crazy amounts of junk. It really was more mental and now I am putting some bars up, so to speak, until I can get the mental fortitude back. I plan on only small indulgences around big social events and in cases where there is little primal food to be found. I am still eating fruit, dark chocolate, and drinking wine during my 30 so I am not avoiding all sugar.

Thanks for the info, Day 4 and I am feeling like a new person without all the junk.
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Day 5

Aunt Flo is full swing. I woke up swollen all over and cramping badly.

Before I started Primal/Paleo last year I was already eating veggies and protein most days with no starches and little fat and then switched, but my periods that whole year and a half were light and I never cramped. After only 3 months of eating a SAD they are really bad now, so hopefully a month or so in and they will ease up.

Meal 1: Yogurt/Blueberries/Almonds 400
    2 Coffees w/ HWC 200

Meal 2: Whole Bar Chocolate/Pumpkin/Eggs/Tomato Paste/Turkey Bacon 1125 -- wow-- no big-- not trying to eat much less than 2100 right now anyways

Meal 3: Spinach/Onions/Turkey Bacon/EVOO/salami/carrots 485

Total: 2220
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Day 6

Still super sore from cross fit so I am taking today off. I usually workout Tues/Wed/Thurs/Friday and then take three days off, but I think I am going to do a 3 day on/4 day off split and then a 4 day on/3 day off split every other week.

I slept 10 hours last night. That is the first time in months I have slept that long.

I still have the carb flu pretty bad, but it feels a little less awful each day.

Day 6

B: Yogurt/Almonds/Blueberries/Egg/2 Bacon 430

Coffee - 3 w/ HW 300

L: Grass Fed ground beef/Spinach/Bell pepper/Onion/EVOO/butternut squash 650

Wine - 135

D: Turkey Bacon/Butternut Squash 340 --- got really hungry at dinner and had some higher cal meats and some almond butter with an apple -- daily total way up-- but still no binge -- so overall ok

Total Cals: around 2500
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Just some things I was thinking about over the last couple of days.

Though I haven't stayed primal over the last ENTIRE year -- took a few life changing months off because what I was putting in my mouth was the last thing on my mind -- I have made some big changes

1. I was addicted to energy drinks -- like a 4 pack of diet redbulls a day! I only drink regular coffee now and 3 small cups only.
    2. I always drank splenda in my coffee -- I don't even like sugar in it now
    3. I couldn't IMAGINE my life without milk in my coffee everyday -- and now I only like Heavy Whipping Cream
    3. I had a salivary auto immune and my cheeks would swell like a chipmunk - found out this was due to the energy drinks and fake sugars -- it is gone now
    4. I ate 6 - 10 times a day -- I now eat 3 times a day (thank goodness--eating so many times a day was time consuming!)
    5. Though I have gained a couple of pounds I have stayed around the same weight for a year now (even with my crazy binges which is what put on the couple of pounds)
    6. If I eat crap my skin looks like crap -- one week back at Primal and my skin is looking better -- sorry this is a vain one -- but true
    7. My hormones aren't all over the place -- sex drive was out of the window and it is back!!

Some things that usually throw me off Primal are:

Last time I thought my family had to be on board 100 percent too. I have a little boy with autism and I about drove myself mad trying to pack a lunch EVERYDAY FOR 6 MONTHS!!! and keep anything NON Primal out of his hands because I thought it was the only way to help him. I now see I was trying to control a situation that I couldn't control. I feed my kids primal foods in the house and let be what will be outside of the house. We are ALL much saner this way.

This was the cause of many fights among family and with my husband so I just had to get over the all or nothing mentality.

My goals for the next year on Primal:

1. No binging -- this is a big one. This week was the first WHOLE week I didn't feel the urge. This makes me never want to stray. Too scary.
    2. If I do stray someday I would just like to be able to control it. I don't want the whole spiral thing to happen..it is just food for heaven's sake.
    3. Though not TODAY, I would like to get to 110 eventually. I understand I am trying to just to stay Primal and not binge at the moment, once I have that down I am going to reach for this goal.

Off to study............

Day 7

Yay -- made it through a whole week -- onward to week 2.

I did eat a lot this week, but I woke up this morning and wasn't hungry so I just didn't eat.

I had to run to the farmer's market and a few places so I grabbed some coffee and skipped breakfast.

3 Coffee w/ HW = 300

Bought some Chard from the market - going to make a salad:

L: Chard/Grass Fed Beef/Bell Pepper/Onion/EVOO

D: Carrots/Sausage/Pumpkin/Tomato Paste/2 Eggs/2 Bacon

2nd Dinner: Yogurt/Berries/turkey bacon/carrots

Total: 1600
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Day 8 -- Had a binge -- I do know I can't indulge even at holidays. I hadn't made up my mind before the parties about cheating..well it is made now. I have gone through a holiday without cheating a few years ago and I felt great on the other side of it. I love primal foods so I am going to try to be stronger in the face of all the goodies next time.

I am starting to get over the yucky feeling of beginning Primal again.

2 nights in a row I slept 10 hours. Last night was not good sleep, but I am marking it up to fasting some in the morning and ending at a deficit.

It is Easter so I won't be in a deficit today, but I am going to try to stay around maintenance.

B: Yogurt/Berries/2Eggs/2Bacon = 400

3 Coffees w/ HW = 300

L: Will be at Easter Party -- so I am saying somewhere around 800 to be safe

D: Binged at the 2nd Easter Party we went to. I at least cut off the binge - but it got pretty bad before that.
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-09-2012 at 04:44 AM.

Day 9

Not hungry for breakfast.

3 Coffees w/ HWC = 300

L: Turkey Bacon/Spinach/Bell pepper/Onion/EVOO/Salmon/Turkey/Carrots = 645

D: Pumpkin/Tomato Paste/3 Eggs/3.5 Bacon/Grass Fed Beef

= 2100
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-10-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Day 10

B: 3 Eggs/2 Bacon = 300
    Coffee: 3 Coffees - Heavy Whipping Cream = 300
    L: 2 Bacon/Chard/Onions/Bell pepper/Grass Fed Beef = 450
    D: Pumpkin/Tomato Paste/4 Eggs/2 Bacon/Carrots = 650
    Synergy Tea
    Total: 1800

I am finally feeling a bit better after Easter. I think when I get to a point where I can indulge at holidays I would just like to refrain from binging. That is the only thing that really gets me down. So I have a cookie or two..why then does it turn in to the whole batch when I let myself go.

I am going to finish these 30 days without another slip up, I am marking it and moving on. I hopefully have learned that more than likely I WILL indulge, so allow it and keep it to one plate and move on. No going back for more. I don't like the idea of food controlling my behavior.
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-11-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Day 11

Workout:

Cross fit. I have to say it was a lot of fun. I only do cross one or two times a week because of the intensity, but I am pulling big weight again and it is fun to do.

3 Coffee = 250 Cals

B: Dark Choc, 3 Eggs, 3 Bacon

L: Dark Choc, 3 Bell Pepper, 3 Bacon, 2 Eggs, Hot Sauce

D: Pumpkin, Tomato Paste, 2 Eggs, 4 Turkey Bacon, Turkey Bacon, Kombucha Tea

Total: 2245
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.

4/12/12

Day 12

Will be busy tomorrow, planning my food for the day.

Coffee: 350

B:3 Eggs/Grass Feed Beef/1 Sweet Potato

L:1Grass Fed Beef/Spinach/Bell pepper/Onion/1Coconut Oil/1Turkey Pepperoni/2Turkey Bacon

D:Grass Fed Beef/Spinach/Bell pepper/Onion/.5 Coconut Oil

Total: 2100
    Last edited by CrissyTibby; 04-12-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast