Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How evil is bread for someone with a healthy weight? page

Therealdeal is offline Member

How evil is bread for someone with a healthy weight?

Primal Fuel
    And who has no problems eating bread?

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    If one throws any allergy/intolerance issues out the window, Bread is still typically a source of high-glycemic, empty calories. Not really an ideal food source, no matter how you slice it. (Horrible pun, somebody shoot me now)

Ultimately, it's like other grain-based carbohydrate sources, except with an added dose of potential allergy/intolerance issues. And bonus bad points for some of the supermarket breads, which sometimes have undesirable added ingredients like HFCS and industrial oils.
    Last edited by jsa23; 04-01-2012 at 05:27 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I guess pancakes stack up the same?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to eat it, it should be an occasional thing. I eat it occasionally. Try to find a good sourdough. Or buy some flour made from einkorn wheat and make your own. Einkorn is an ancient non hybridized wheat that seems to cause fewer problems than modern varieties. That being said many people here will tell you bread is the ultimate evil and not to touch it. In the long run its your body and you have to decide what's best for you.

Baba is offline Member
    The bad boy in bread is the gluten content (though there are others like WGA). Unfortunately gluten is what gives bread its bready texture, so without gluten you get something more cake-like.
    Gluten content varies with the grain with wheat showing the highest - rye has less gluten. It also differs with the variety of wheat: Manitoba flour has a very high percentage of gluten.
    The traditional sourdough preparation degrades gluten, as does long fermentation in general. Your run-of-the-mill-baker usually cannot afford this time-consuming process.

Gluten is (at least partly) responsible for a leaky gut, so if you have any allergies or autoimmune issues, you'd better stay away.

That said, I make a very good ciabatta and when I have guests, I will produce a loaf and maybe eat a slice or two. I start the making of the dough about 36 hours before I put the bread in the oven. On the other hand I have become a bread snob and will not eat bread which is inferior to my own. Haven't met many.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The thing is, you don't usually see the effects that various foods have on you until you're my age. Then you're a very active 47 and can't see any reason why you shouldn't have a perfecty functioning body because you don't FEEL old, but your body has a crap ton of damage to it that you can't even see. Eliminate the wheat and you can actually tell a big difference.

So it's kind of like smoking. You can't see the daily damage, but it's most likely there, and it will catch up to you and smack you upside the head one day.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread | Food For Life

what about the ezekiel breads? They are all sprouted and are flourless. I don't make it a daily staple, but I do eat this sometimes.
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think it is just up to you. The problem for bread and I was that bread was a food group and eaten like say, we should eat veggies- every meal, every day. Other people have some nasty wheat side effects.

Maybe view it as a treat- like cheesecake or ice cream.... if you really like it. I feel like Baba about bread- I would not bother with gluten free or ezekial. If (and when) I have bread again, it will be my own.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The thing is, you don't usually see the effects that various foods have on you until you're my age. Then you're a very active 47 and can't see any reason why you shouldn't have a perfecty functioning body because you don't FEEL old, but your body has a crap ton of damage to it that you can't even see. Eliminate the wheat and you can actually tell a big difference.

So it's kind of like smoking. You can't see the daily damage, but it's most likely there, and it will catch up to you and smack you upside the head one day.
    I agree with this. Wheat contains lectins which may in fact *accumulate* in the body. To reduce the effects you can take n-acetyl glucosamine but it isn't typically on health food store/drugstore/big box shelves and isn't cheap.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I agree with this. Wheat contains lectins which may in fact *accumulate* in the body. To reduce the effects you can take n-acetyl glucosamine but it isn't typically on health food store/drugstore/big box shelves and isn't cheap.
    I agree too.

If you're not gluten intolerant then occasional bread as a treat (part of your 20%) isn't going to kill you. If I wasn't gluten intolerant I would eat bread occasionally for the convenience factor when on holiday, dining out, travelling, etc.

I'm convinced that anyone is better off not consuming bread as a staple, in the long run.

I tried making some flatbread using buckwheat and that was delicious, but I couldn't tolerate it unfortunately. If you really want to eat bread as a treat then I think it's best to make your own primalised versions.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast