Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: My Primal Journal - his_chick page 12

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Same boat. With everything. One - I have no moderator switch, it's ALL or nothing. Second, I had a ridiculously bad day of eating yesterday on the Lovedale long lunch wine tour - I am too scared to weigh myself but my legs have increased about 1.5cm each! I didn't even bother with the stress os trying to get my jeans on, just put on a skirt and stockings instead - may have to rely on this to get me through till the doc. I am a classic pear shape, so can hide my bad bits in long skirts. Pants not so much. I also ordered some cute dresses from modcloth.com, which I have never done, but I have some conferences coming up and I need to present, and I think my stress will be much decreased if I have something nice that I can feel confident in.

his_chick is offline Senior Member
    Sunday!
    Breakfast unfortunately ended up being quite the shovel fest. A myriad of things at church morning tea, icing, a slice of banana cake, several carrot and celery sticks with corn relish and cream cheese dip, handful of popcorn... the temptations were too great and I came home and literally cried to hubby a how disgusted I was with my lack of self control. Meh number 1,
    Lunch was a salad from the hospital cafeteria, intended on taking off the cheese but ended up eating it anyway. Meh number 2.
    Dinner was a little better, the standby easy eggs and vege helped to finish the day positively and primally. Dessert of 50g of mixed berries and a black tea helped too.
    As the mottos go, 'tea fixes everything' and 'tomorrow is a brand new day'. Bes wishes girls for a week better than the last. I'll be trying my hardest.
    Went Primal on 1st April 2012

Since beginning Primal:
    - The stomach cramps I'd been having have vanished.
    - People comment that my skin is glowing.
    - I enjoy getting out of bed (most of the time)
    - I'm so excited by food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52255.html

Woke up early this morning and decided to measure myself. Weird, I know. I do have measurements to compare with from a month or so back but because I didn't take these myself I'm unsure where on my body they were taken from so will compare everything to these new ones.
    Hips: 101cm
    Waist at belly button: 84cm
    Chest: 84cm
    Chest beneath Bust: 74cm
    Thigh: 52cm

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 bacon rasher, 20g BBQ chicken, 1/2 tomato, a little carrot and a little red capsicum.
    Morning Tea: celery and carrot sticks, 1/2 tomato, small amount cucumber.
    Lunch: big salad with cos lettuce, mushroom, red capsicum, cucumber, 50g BBQ chicken. Also 2 small slices or one big slice of banana bread.
    Dinner: (planned) vegetable beef bolognaise. Yummy!

Since beginning Primal:

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by his_chick View Post
    I have this issue where once I have a little itty bitty taste of something I just can't stop. Like for example icing cakes for church morning tea this morning I couldnt help myself but to taste just a little and before I knew it I was licking the bowl and spoon and every little drip. So annoying.
    Haven't eaten very well this weekend. Haven't felt like big meals but then have fallen for the snacky little tastes of everything in sight. Another poor weekend. Sorry to all who I'm disappointing. My hope is that I might start feeling better about myself once I get back to normality and work days this week. :|

You are not disappointing anyone and stressing yourself out too much about right and wrong. None of us following your journal are critical or judgemental. This is your journey, not ours and we are following you (probably) because we have similar issues and can relate to your struggle.

Thanks for saying that. I really am too harsh on myself. I get discouraged so easily and especially so when I see others getting results.

Dinner last night was yummy, I've ran out of green veges though so my bolognaise had lots of tomatoes and red capsicum. dessert was yummy mixed berries with cocoa powder and a tablespoon or two of coconut cream.

Breakdown for yesterday:
    1096 calories
    Carbs: 38% or 99g
    Fat: 34% or 40g
    Protein: 28% or 72g
    Sugar: 60g - orange, mandarin, banana bread.

Tuesday.
    Woke up feeling bloated and disappointed but ready for a new day.
    Breakfast: egg, small portion bolognaise, some carrot and 1/2 tomato.
    Morning Tea: banana
    Lunch: bolognaise with cos lettuce, celery and carrot sticks, 1/2 tomato.
    Going to boot camp this afternoon and then grocery shopping after. Can't wait to fill my trolley with green veges. Missing them.
    Dinner tonight will be bolognaise with green vege linguine. Mmm mm. I'm excited.

Since beginning Primal:

Tuesday.
    Boot camp was tough! Really good workout and I'm sure I'm gonna be feeling it tomorrow as well.
    Had a rough day today, was being advised from every side to give up primal and bring dairy and grains back in. Considering I'm not seeing any results or weight loss it was definitely tempting to return back to my healthy but not primal ways. I'm at a crossroads. I want to stay primal because I'm really enjoying my food, the reduced importance placed on chronic cardio and the fact that it makes sense. But. I'm not seeing the results I want, I have others concerned I'm not getting enough calcium for my age and gender and I'm willing to try something else if it's going to work for me.
    At this stage I'm staying primal but have purchased some natural yogurt to help the calcium stores a little. I welcome your comments and encouragement. It's the support network of MDA that's keeping me here, so thank you all.

Since beginning Primal:

Ask yourself, "Do I feel better using PB eating, or eating a "healthy" conventional diet?" That is what it really comes down to. Weight loss is obviously your drive for taking on PB principals, but I think you are missing a main point: It is not all about what happens outside, it's what is happening inside that is of up-most importance.

I also think you have not given yourself long enough on full primal to reap the benefits of weight loss. You began in April correct? Now, if you were very strict and regimented, you may have seen results by now. I'm not saying you have not adhered to the lifestyle or you are "slacking" or a "failure" in anyway. I weigh about the same amount you do. I have not lost any weight so far either. However, I am still falling into bouts of "cheating" on non-primal foods and sometimes taking it to an extreme of a few days of eating nothing but non-primal. How are your "cheats?" Be honest with yourself and you may have your answer to the weight-loss question?

Why are you concerned about calcium levels? I looked up a blog from Mark about calcium. Many other factors come into play regarding calcium and its absorption. Vitamin D levels may be the most important factor in regards to healthy levels. Here is part of his blog:

"Ultimately, bone health depends on a number of factors – a constellation of nutrition, activity, and various hormone factors. Here are my nutrient and lifestyle recommendations to maximize calcium absorption and overall bone health…

Get your calcium from alkaline-forming foods like leafy greens, nuts, broccoli, sweet potatoes and calcium-rich fish like wild salmon and sardines.

Eat a diet high in antioxidant fruits and veggies. Go low to moderate on carbs to help maintain hormonal balance, and eliminate grains (phytates in grains can bind to calcium and decrease absorption). Reduce caffeine, which can encourage calcium excretion, and limit alcohol, which can decrease bone density and strength over time.

Ensure adequate vitamin D primarily by spending quality time out in the sun and by taking a supplement containing D3 if need be.

Do plenty of weight-bearing exercise to maintain bone density. I’d recommend a combination of resistance training and some impact interval activities like sprints.

Avoid chronic stress. Excess cortisol messes you up. You know that. It also decreases calcium absorption. In my book (coming soon!), stress is a huge reason we see rampant osteoporosis in our society.

If you’re still concerned about calcium intake, you can always consider a good supplement that includes not just calcium but vitamin D3 and magnesium. In terms of additional therapies for those at risk, research suggests that an aspirin regimen can help treat osteoporosis by balancing bone formation and resorption rates. Of course, talk to a trusted physician about these possibilities in your overall treatment plan.

Read more: Calcium for Women | Mark's Daily Apple

I fully support what ever decision you choose to make. However, I encourage you to continue on with the primal lifestyle. I believe this is the healthiest lifestyle to live...hands-down. I use the PB diet for my 3-year-old daughter. I would not do that if I didn't support the claims 100%. This lifestyle makes sense to me. If I can eventually lose weight, that would be awesome. If not, I know my body is healthy inside and running as efficiently as it can. I have noticed clearer skin, digestive problems dissipating, less mood swings, more energy for daily activity, and I have not gotten sick (I used to all the time.) There are so many other benefits of PB when considering converting back to your old diet.

Ultimately, It is your choice. Are the people pushing you to re-incorporate grains and dairy educated in primal at all? Don't listen to anyone (including me!) but yourself and what is right for you.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Everything primalmontana said, but also, seriously, get some full blood work done by your doc and get anything hormonal ruled out first.
    I have had all these feelings myself so I can understand your mindset. truthfully though i wasn't even losing on a CW diet in the end.

Thanks girls. I'm definitely staying primal. The benefits- if not weight loss yet- are definitely worth it. I'm clearer in the head, my digestive discomfort that I was having is gone and I'm loving my food options. I'm also definitely booking in this Saturday to get the bloodwork done and I've decided that if there are others like yourselves that are smart and educated individuals that follow primal and have seen these changes too then it's definitely worth sticking it out.
    Read that calcium article as suggested and it really does make sense. Those who were being discouraging are not educated in primal and it is to their disadvantage. I really didn't want to quit, I think the constant barrage of yesterday just became too heavy all at once. Here's to continuing and seeing results in the long term.
    Tuesday dinner:
    Chuck steak with caramelised onions and mushrooms, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, zucchini and a little mashed potato.
    Breakdown for Tuesday:
    Calories: 1208
    Fat: 48g or 37%
    Carbs: 72g or 25%
    Protein: 108g or 37%
    Sugar: 36g.

Since beginning Primal:

I'm glad you decided to stick with it! I had my own little "what's the point" episode yesterday as I was wiggling my hips into my jeans. If I can gorge myself on ice cream a couple days a week and still be the same weight, why am I trying so hard!? But that's not the point is it? I have issues with food, plain and simple. My major goal right now is to gain control over these issues. I would love to have ice cream w/in portion control like 1x/week. Right now, that wouldn't happen. Paleo is so much more than what I first expected it to be...

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast