Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grokette still hungry! page

Jasetyn is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Heya! My name is Jasetyn, been around for a while and really going hard out on getting myself primal and healthy! I am still finding, however, that I am very hungry and sleepy mid day though my late night snacking has practically been quashed! Just wondering if anyone who knew anything about food or nutrition could give me a little bit of a hint as to what I'm doing wrong. Many thanks!!

So a typical day for me looks about like this:

2 scoops egg white protein powder after Upper Body workout, 7:30 am

1 Can of sardines in pure olive oil, oil drained a bit, 10:00 am

1 lean pork tenderloin cooked in coconut oil and handful of salad veggies, no dressing, 12:30 pm

approximately 15 roasted unsalted almonds, 12:45 pm

1 lean pork tenderloin cooked in coconut oil, 3:30 pm

15 roasted unsalted almonds, 5:45 pm

4 hard boiled eggs, salad veggies, 1/2 cup cooked carrots, 1 T. rice bran oil, salt and pepper, 6:30 pm

I work out every morning, hard! I also have Crohn's disease which limits my ability to intake sugars and carbs, so fruit isn't really an option. I know I'm a complicated case, but I appreciate any feedback at all.

Jase

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Hello Jasetyn! Congrats on your primal journey so far. Don't worry about no fruit, carbs are a crutch!

My hunch from your menu is that you might not be getting enough fat, particularly saturated. Maybe work in a little organic butter and some fattier meats like bacon or sausage?

My wife and I both have big appetites on the PB so far (at least when not fasting). I think it's because we're putting on muscle, which is probably to be expected when you cut insulin and the anabolic hormones take over. We just keep on eating different animal proteins and fats until we're full. My wife likes lots of veg too like chard and kale, but full carnivore seems to suit me best.

Also, watch out for the grains (rice bran oil). There are much more nutritious substitutes, and if you're like me, a tiny amount of grain can wreck everything.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I agree that you need more fat.

Instead of the protein powder, why not have 4 strips of bacon and a couple eggs friend in the grease?

If you have a big enough breakfast, you probably won't need that morning snack, but sardines are a good choice if you do snack.

I'd make lunch bigger. Turn that salad into about 4-6 cups worth instead of a handful and dress it with oil. Put both slabs of pork on the salad and skip the afternoon snack (or add in a different one, like a swig of coconut milk with the evening almonds).

Dinner looks okay, but you could add in more veggies topped with butter.

If the Chron's keeps you from adding this many veggies, look instead at adding more meat. Dip strips of cold chicken, steak, or pork in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Eat ground beef and other, fattier cuts. You shouldn't need to be hungry on the PB.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

At least make sure you enjoy something fatty with your salad. You aren't getting nearly the nutrients from your salad that you could be because a lot of them are fat soluble.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Fourthing the suggestion to add fats.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

I would move and change your workout routines to evenings, after 7 pm, Do Intervals instead of working out hard. You will be more efficient, loose less time exercising and you can be more rested.

Dietwise, to less fat. Get some bacon over there. Loose the protein powder. Get real eggs instead.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

Hey I have Crohn's as well.

I had severe pains and was bleeding a lot taking many drugs including prednisone before I started eating primal and reversed it. No pains, no blood, no drugs --after over 1 year but the reversal in the symptoms started quickly. I also noticed extremely low inflammation on a strictly carnivore diet.

Doctors told me diet has nothing to do with Crohn's and that I would be on drugs for good...LOL

How have you faired so far? Mine is probably not as bad as yours because I can still eat veggies and fruits.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I find that eating larger meals less frequently is much more effective in a low-carb context. I found that when I was constantly eating all day I was more hungry than now when I have a satisfying meal 3 times a day. In a carb-junkie context, eating more frequently makes sense because insulin is always high and for many of us, glycogen runs out too quickly, sense the "stable blood sugar" thing. But we are not carb-junkies!

Try upping the fat and decreasing meal frequency is my advice.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I'm going to third (fourth?) more fat. For me, that's absolutely the difference from being full or not. And it's really easy to add in to what you've got going now. Add some avocado to one of the dishes... olive oil to the salads/greens... butter to the meats.

For me, there's nothing like some bacon and eggs in the morning to set me right for hours. I keep nuts at work in case I get the hungries, but honestly if I have my 2-3 pieces of bacon and 2-3 eggs at 7:30 or 8, I'm usually not the least bit hungry until 1 or 2. I haven't dipped into the nuts for a few weeks...

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

kcurtain Guest

You don't need all the protein you've got in there. You should be eating at least 50% of your calories from fat. No lean meats! Too much protein and not enough fat will cause "rabbit starvation". You can eat and eat and still be hungry if you don't get enough fat.

If you're eschewing carbs, then you'll want to go for at least a 1:1 ratio of fat to protein. For instance, a 100g (about 3.5oz) portion of lean pork will give you 3g of fat for 22g protein. That's 1:7.3 ratio, which is bad. Egg whites have no fat, so I'd avoid them unless the protein powder has lots of added fat in it. If you want to use protein powder, I'd suggest you blend it with coconut milk, which is mostly fat.

The whole eggs have a 1:1.2 ratio, which is pretty good. Drained sardines have about a 1:2 ratio, so use the sardine oil to coat your salad veggies and you'll get a much better ratio. Hope that makes sense! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast