Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions? Affordable meat to take to a vegetarian's BBQ page

ravingkiko is offline Member

Suggestions? Affordable meat to take to a vegetarian's BBQ

Shop Now
    I have a vegetarian friend who is having a BBQ. She graciously offered to serve meat. I want to take meat to share (not poultry!) but can't afford to take 10lbs. of grass fed rib eye. I need suggestions please.

I live in the city and have no outdoor space, so I'm practically illiterate when it comes to grilled food.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    10 lbs of meat would be a lot to take to a BBQ. Probably 5 lbs of grass fed hamburger would be fine if you can afford it. How many people will be eating meat vs tofuburgers? Since She is vegetarian, it would be thoughtful to take grass fed.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    You could just go with hamburgers. Ground beef is generally the cheapest, they are easy enough to cook and generally people like them pretty well.

Or if you prefer some kind of steak you could go that route but either way I think I would just skip buying grass-fed and get something that seems decent-ish but not to expensive. Also a lot of the time roasts are cheaper per pound then steaks are and all you have to do is slice the roast into steaks!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I would buy a roast and cut it into cubes, marinate it and make kebabs! Cheap and crowd pleasing!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Grilled fish is really good and can be inexpensive depending on the type. What is your budget?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    I'd get a pork shoulder or butt. Marinate or rub it in seasonings overnight. Slow cook in the oven at 220 until internal tempurture reaches 190(?...you want fall apart meat temp). This could take anywhere from 4-8 hrs depending on how many pounds you have. You can find all this info online. It's easy and can cook in the oven overnight while you sleep.

Once the meat is done pull and shred meat. Add some seasonings and you have pulled pork.

This way you can enjoy the day without cooking once you get there. Plus, my vegetarian friends don't really like meat on their grills, so this may be a simple soulution.
    Last edited by Tneah; 04-01-2012 at 07:18 AM.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    You can make the pork in the crock pot too!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Why not chicken? Wouldn't it be cheaper and grill just as good?

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Why not chicken? Wouldn't it be cheaper and grill just as good?
    And the vegetarians would be a bit more comfortable with it being there, if that matters to you.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Ethical vegetarians would be PISSED about chickens - since they're treated the worst in factory farming.

Your safest bet would be shrimp/prawns or fish. It lived wild until caught.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast