Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I eating right? (super budget) page

archbox is offline Member

Question Am I eating right? (super budget)

When I go grocery shopping, I usually get:
    Peoria Costco:
    ground beef $3/lb (costco doesn't use pink slime)
    Eggs <$1.50/dozen (clearly factory farmed)
    Whatever vegetables they have and are cheap (usually broccoli, onions, romaine, grape tomatoes, organic carrots).
    Frozen mixed berries
    Sardines in olive oil

Costco is kindof weird about organic things in that somethings are only offered organic and others aren't, etc.

Glendale Sprouts:
    Sprouts XL eggs $1.50/dozen (Eggs looked more natural and are local) (sale)
    grass fed organic ground beef $5/lb (on sale this week)
    Greek God's Yogurt $3.49/24oz (sale)

I have a grapefruit and an orange tree.
    ----------

I generally have 4-6 eggs for brunch mixed with onions and a whole grapefruit with frozen berries.
    For dinner, ground beef and broccoli, or some other vegetables.
    Sometimes I'll eat an orange. I drink just water. I pick up offal when I can find it (usually chicken livers/kidneys as they are like $2/lb or less), but Costco doesn't offer a lot.

Sprouts seems really expensive. I usually just go to Costco. Is grass fed worth paying 2x for? Also, it's from South America x.x and am I missing anything? My goal is to just be healthy, not lose weight.
    I'm also considering buying 40 lb of the grassfed pet burger from US wellness for under $3.50/lb. There are 5 people in the house, but I'm not sure that they'd want to eat it unless i hide the labels

Edit: and I take a multi and a fish oil everyday. Those add like 15 cents/day cost.
    Last edited by archbox; 03-31-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    5'10", 140 lb, 21yo male. Primal for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwell99 View Post
    seems like your donig alright, not a huge difference between grain fed and grass fed beef so dont stress it. Good call on the sardines in olive oil. Your donig great just keep it up.
    Thanks yeah my family members aren't really buying grass-fed, especially when it's from South America ("How do you know what they really ate", etc.)
    Are there any other cheap supplements that I should pick up? Forgot to mention, also do 4000 IU D

Edit: And I cook my eggs in Nutiva OVCO (picked up 2x54oz from amazon for $0.34/oz)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    sprout your own sprouts -- it's cheap and easy, seriously. i used an old t-shirt and rubber band over a jar of moist seeds. i hardly have to water them, our environment is so humid. they grow in a couple of days. easy as.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    sprout your own sprouts -- it's cheap and easy, seriously. i used an old t-shirt and rubber band over a jar of moist seeds. i hardly have to water them, our environment is so humid. they grow in a couple of days. easy as.
    I live in the middle of the desert. it's rarely humid. I also don't eat sprouts--don't really like them. Should I be eating some?

Sprouts is a brand/store in the southwest, btw

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    If dairy and tomatoes work for you keep 'em. But tomatoes contain lectins that can be kinda funky and yogurt is sort of a dead food really.....but then you need variety to keep you going. I like grass fed but I would use whatever beef you can afford. Pretty good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    If dairy and tomatoes work for you keep 'em. But tomatoes contain lectins that can be kinda funky and yogurt is sort of a dead food really.....but then you need variety to keep you going. I like grass fed but I would use whatever beef you can afford. Pretty good overall.
    I'm European and dairy treats me fine, i believe. The only dairy I consume is butter and yogurt. The yogurt has probiotics. Two people in my family have strep right now so hopefully it'll help me out.
    Don't eggs also have lectins?
    And, am I getting enough fiber? 28g/1900kcal
    http://i.imgur.com/QUZkR.png

I had tomatoes again today. Could someone please expand on why tomatoes are not ideal?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    and yogurt is sort of a dead food really....
    do explain how yogurt is 'sort of a dead food.' what does that mean? even more ironic, is that it contains live bacterial cultures.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archbox View Post
    I had tomatoes again today. Could someone please expand on why tomatoes are not ideal?
    Only if you have problems with nightshades... or if you have a pollen allergy you can get oral allergy syndrom from them (speaking from experience)
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Only if you have problems with nightshades... or if you have a pollen allergy you can get oral allergy syndrom from them (speaking from experience)
    Oh. So they are just like eggs. I'm fine with eating everything except gluten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast