Thread: Tallow Solids Left Over, what do I do with them? page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

Tallow Solids Left Over, what do I do with them?

Shop Now
    I just made tallow from 5 pounds of grass-fed suet. It's a really nice break from lard and butter and practically free. The first Guatemalan butcher I went to laughed at me and gave me some for free and the second semi-suspiciously charged me $0.15 cents per pound. The Guatemalan diet is really "SAD," with most NGOs and educational sources teaching the strict food pyramid (pretty easy to follow cheaply). I, however, am interested in making some pemmican so I can travel like a thrifty caveman.

Anyways, I've got about 1.5 pounds of fat solids soaked in tallow that kind of taste and smell like beefy chicharron (pork rinds). How do I use this super-rich, super-beefy bi-product?

Paleo friends, go!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Fry chicken breasts in it

Or, any vegetable. Add it to soups, fry your eggs in it.

Beef tallow is wicked/awesome/amazing!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Use the solids to scoop up guacomole
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Weeeeell, they range from slushy in consistency to pea-sized because I cut up the fat before I rendered it. I'm sure part of it is leftover membranes, blood, and random stuff that came with the good suet. I just can't imagine indigenous people wasting these precious nutrients.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Can you not just eat it like popcorn?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

abstract is offline Junior Member
    Just add a little salt and pepper and eat. That's what I do. It's my favorite part about the rendering process, the treat at the end.